ADC 2 Conversions of gamesets

Hi:
I am trying to convert an ADC 2 gameset to Vassal. I notice for Beta 6, that it is a one button conversion. It aludes me as to how to do it. Could someone give me a step by step guide as to how this is done or at least send me to the help section that covers this.
Thanks in advance
John

Click on File->Import Module… and then select the OPS file of the module you wish to import. After a short wait, the module editor will pop up. You may immediately play the module as is in VASSAL or edit it.

Let me know if you have any problems.

• Michael

2008/11/29 Kyloth <messages@forums.vassalengine.org (messages@forums.vassalengine.org)>

Post generated using Mail2Forum (mail2forum.com)

Hi Michael
Thank you for a quick response and yes it worked perfectly!
Thanks again
John

I keep getting an “out of memory heap size” for one of the large ADC games I’m importing.
I change heaps to 2000 but still get the error :frowning:

Thus spake “Ski”:

Is there someplace you can upload it so that we can take a look?

J.

Messages mailing list
Messages@forums.vassalengine.org
forums.vassalengine.org/mailman/ … engine.org

Or better yet, tell us which game you’re importing and/or provide a link.

I’ve imported some ridiculously large games with no problem, but it could be a bug.

• M.

2008/11/30 Joel Uckelman <uckelman@nomic.net (uckelman@nomic.net)>

I purchased some Europa ADC2 modules some time back. In this case, War in the Desert.
I’ve tried both the “OPS” and “Game Ops” files with the same effect.

Contact me privately at mailto:mkiefte@dal.ca (mkiefte@dal.ca)

• M.

2008/11/30 Ski <messages@forums.vassalengine.org (messages@forums.vassalengine.org)>

Okay, there’s a number of odd things about this module. Firstly, the map is unnecessarily massive. About 75% of the map consists of offboard hexes. The problems you’re experiencing have to do with the sheer enormity of the map (which is mostly grey). VASSAL has to convert the map to a giant PNG file which is 12806x11351 pixels. The conversion succeeds on my computer, but I have -Xmx1024m as a VM argument. So it will work through brute force. Find Vengine.jar and run java -Xmx1024m -jar Vengine.jar and run the converter.

Actually, that probably won’t work because I no longer completely understand how threads are started in VASSAL. How do you set the heap space for the importer?

That being said, I spotted another serious problem. All the sides are allied with all other sides. Why, I cannot say. But in order to avoid serious problems in other modules, VASSAL does something that maybe it shouldn’t: it merges allies into a single player. Yes, it sounds bad, but it worked for every module I saw up until just now because all modules had either a) only two players and additional sides were just kludges for some fancy hidden unit stuff with differing reveal ranges or b) had multiple players but no hidden units. What this module does is just wierd. What it seems to be saying is that there are hidden units, but everyone can reveal them. Do you know why that is? I don’t play Europa, so I can’t even guess and the easiest fix seems to be to delete all the alliances from the original module.

As mentioned above, the map is huge. This is what I had to do to get the converted and saved module to run: open the converted module and let Java run out of memory and report an error (don’t submit the error). After you close the error, click on File->Preferences and select “Prefer memory-mapped files for large images”. Exit the game and try again. It should now work.

Finally, the last problem is that it’s ugly. This has got to be the ugliest module I’ve ever seen.

• M.

2008/11/30 Michael Kiefte <mkiefte@dal.ca (mkiefte@dal.ca)>

Thus spake “Michael Kiefte”:

Right now, you don’t. That’s a bug.

J.

Messages mailing list

thanks for looking into this Michael:)
Not a promising idea this one!!

If you want to try to import it, try this:

javaw -Xmx1024m -client -cplib/Vengine.jar VASSAL.launch.Editor -i ‘C:ADC 2Game SetsFire in the EastFire in the East.OPS’

Assuming you actually have more than 1GB RAM, this should work. I don’t run windows, but it looks reasonable. People will correct me if I’m wrong.

I also don’t know how quotes work in Windows, but I’m assuming that’s correct.

If you do try this, get rid of the alliances in the ADC2 module editor first.

• M.

2008/12/3 Ski <messages@forums.vassalengine.org (messages@forums.vassalengine.org)>

Quotes in windows for paths use the dbl quotation mark " not the single ’

— On Wed, 12/3/08, Michael Kiefte mkiefte@dal.ca wrote:

On Dec 3, 2008, at 4:54 AM, Michael Kiefte wrote:

Also, you need a space between “-cp” and “lib/Vengine.jar”

Messages mailing list

I have a problem, but I have a feeling it is with the ADC module itself.

I have a floppy disc (yes, the 1.44 MB 3 1/2-inch kind) with an ADC module for The Gamers’ “Thunder at the Crossroads” that VASSAL isn’t converting. However, it may be an ADC1 module (it has eight different OPS files).

Does anybody know how to tell the difference, if there is any, between ADC1 and ADC2 modules?

First off, the importer should be able to handle most ADC1 files. I never had that many ADC1 gamesets to begin with, so I suspect it’s not as robust as conversion of ADC2 modules.

Off the top of my head, the best way to tell the difference is to attempt to load the set or map files into ADC2 itself – it will attempt to convert them to ADC2 and give you a warning to that effect. If you open up the OPS file, I don’t think it attempts any such conversion.

If you have a problem with your module, you should tell us exactly what the problem is. One thing to check is to see if it will load in ADC2 if you have a copy – if it doesn’t, you may be totally out of luck. The fact that it’s on a floppy has me concerned as it may have random bytes corrupted. Those things have limited shelf lives.

The fact that there are several OPS files means that there are several scenarios of the game or different setups.

Let us know what the exact problem is.

• Michael.

2009/4/19 That Don Guy <messages@forums.vassalengine.org (messages@forums.vassalengine.org)>

On Apr 19, 2009, at 1:38 PM, That Don Guy wrote:

Well, unless you actually need the first edition, I would think that
using the native Vassal “Thunder at the Crossroads” module would be
easier:

vassalengine.org/community/i … ule_id=230

Messages mailing list