Adding restrict command field for GKC

You seem to have strayed significantly from Korval’s original request–a way to visibly show that a GKC button is disabled! LOL

1 Like

I do that sort of stuff for other things, even some GKC buttons. I think with my particular short experience I’ve been exposed to modules that already had a chain of GKCs in an MA button, and I probably expanded that beyond its remit.

As @jestew points out, best to keep focussed on the original request. Now that I’ve woken up again, I have a much simpler idea for GKC button/service piece integration, that I will raise as a separate request.

That would just leave the question of whether a flexible but still fixed comparison could be allowed for the Toolbar Button Disable check.

Yes, I have “Deploy” units buttons for numerous things, that I want to be able to gray out after they have been used once.

There are several other use cases where I want to be able to visually indicate that the button is not currently available…

Okay yeah try beta7 when it comes out today — it will definitely support what you want to do

" Reviewing GKC buttons for my testing, I concluded this GKC button grey out thing is something of a secondary luxury (@Korval may disagree) … it’s nice and somewhat useful…"

It’s a somewhat fundamental concept of user interface design that you need to associate an indicator to button/switch pushes for operator feedback, to prevent errors, user frustration, etc… (for physical/mechanical switches, this can be the “click” of the switch closing)

This BTW is why (some) automakers are realizing that capacitive touch switches are bad idea for autos… No feedback AND they require the driver to take eyes off the road instead of finding the switch by feel…

In industrial design, you typically want the indicator to show that the actual action (not the button push) occurred correctly… Example - cut fuel flow - indicator should show that the valve closed, not just that the button was pushed…

For games, the bar isn’t that high, but it’s still good practice not to frustrate the user who pushes a button in good faith, only to see the game do nothing in response… So you either need a visual indicator showing that the button is unavailable OR logic that displays an error message of some kind…

1 Like

Agree with that. So I tend to provide feedback in the logic, e.g. a message or a sound. I’ll try to use the limited button state parameter in v3.6 but I’m expecting it will be at least as complicated to control as the logic that is required for other methods.