Any interest in sounds for Vassal? - RFE:1565393

I - for one - would like some simple sound commands to either manually send a “wake up” sound to my opponent, or for the addition of sounds based on module actions (end of turn, moving pieces, drawing cards, etc.)

I don’t have anything ‘fancy’ in mind, just the ability to monitor the game state with my ears while my eyes are doing something different (like reading a book or doing laundry).

Thoughts?

I would really like the option to add a sound effect when played, or you hit a bottom and what not…

Though the wake up is already there :wink:

You mean like the ‘Play Sound’ trait that can be added to any counter to play sounds whenever a key command is seen?

Or perhaps you mean like the Action Button component that can be added to a toolbar and fired off by hotkeys and can display a message, play a sound, or send hot keys?

We thought these where great ideas when we added them to Vassal some time back :slight_smile:

On 15/01/2008 at 4:22 PM mrmcmeowmeow wrote:

On 15/01/2008 at 4:32 PM Briggs wrote:

Brent Easton
Analyst/Programmer
University of Western Sydney
Email: b.easton@uws.edu.au

Messages mailing list
Messages@forums.vassalengine.org
forums.vassalengine.org/mailman/ … engine.org

Post generated using Mail2Forum (mail2forum.com)

I guess I need to beg for these to be added to the specific modules then? Of the few different games I’ve played using the Vassal engine I haven’t encountered sound effects.

I’m not a module designer - just a user ;)

Yep, that’s right. It would not be possible to automatically add Sound Effects to modules in a consistent way. How could VASSAL tell what button was the ‘End of Turn’ button in order to play the End of Turn sound?

Potentially, a scheme could be built where more generic functions are given sounds e.g.

• Move Unit
  • Expand/Unexpand Stack
  • Open/Close windows
  • Press Toolbar buttons

We would want these to be configured completely locally, perhaps provide default sounds, but have them turned off. Players could then turn sounds on, or perhaps specify alternate sounds.

Regards,
Brent.

Brent Easton
Analyst/Programmer
University of Western Sydney
Email: b.easton@uws.edu.au

Messages mailing list
Messages@forums.vassalengine.org
forums.vassalengine.org/mailman/ … engine.org

Post generated using Mail2Forum (mail2forum.com)

There’s an existing RFE for this one so I’ve linked back to this discussion from Sourceforge.

cheers.