Anyone working on VASSAL for iPad?

I could get a lot more gaming in if I could play on my iPad while I am at work!

Anyone? … Anyone? … Buellor?

Thus spake Screamingeagle101:

I could get a lot more gaming in if I could play on my iPad while I am
at work!

Anyone? … Anyone? … Buellor?

The iPad doesn’t support Java, so there’s virtually no chance that
you’ll be able to run anything in the VASSAL 3 series on an iPad. We
are tentatively switching to C++ for VASSAL 4, so at that point it
might be possible to port VASSAL to iOS.

J.

Look up the apps “jump desktop” and “Splashtop”. There’s others as well but I’ve experimented and found them suitable for RDP and Vassal. Moving pieces takes some practice but I’ve got it down on Jump Desktop and I’m sure the cheaper prices Splashtop would work too.

At least on BGG user has installed an ap on his iPad that allows him to port his home computer to his iPad, as long as both are running and connected to the internet. He plays vassal on his home PC, using his iPad, if that makes sense. That may be the same thing another poster here mentioned, I just didn’t recognize the program names. Of course, if the home PC locks up or freezes, I imagine his gaming session is done until her returns (or phones his wife for technical support…)

If you want to learn more about this let me know, I’ll try to find the post he made about it for you.

I’ve done this and it’s not really useable. It’s extremely slow and selecting right-click menus is very difficult. I posted some screenshots on CSW.

• M.

On 2011-12-25, at 12:06 AM, fatgreta fatgreta1066@gmail.com wrote:

At least on BGG user has installed an ap on his iPad that allows him to
port his home computer to his iPad, as long as both are running and
connected to the internet. He plays vassal on his home PC, using his
iPad, if that makes sense. That may be the same thing another poster
here mentioned, I just didn’t recognize the program names. Of course, if
the home PC locks up or freezes, I imagine his gaming session is done
until her returns (or phones his wife for technical support…)

If you want to learn more about this let me know, I’ll try to find the
post he made about it for you.

Read this topic online here:
Anyone working on VASSAL for iPad? - #4 by fatgreta

messages mailing list
messages@vassalengine.org
vassalengine.org/mailman/listinfo/messages

I’ve been using my iPad with SplashTop for a few months now. It does take a bit to get used to the mouse interface, but it is usable for some games. The speed of the app is much improved since it was first launched, and does even support sound from your computer (mac and pc), though Vassal does not use this. The main complaint is that the keyboard is not customizable, and can not be repositioned, which does tend to get in the way, especially for games like Fields of Fire, where you’re very reliant on keyboard shortcuts to add and flip chits. Of course, speed and usage does vary with the speed of your wireless LAN, etc. I’m running wireless-N via a Mac to my iPad 1.

One major hurdle is that IIRC there is no Java available on the iPhone
or iPad. So you would need to re-implement everything from scratch in
a different language.