are tabbed maps possible?

i have a force pool map which i want to make as small as possible because it is a window that i don’t want to take up more space than necessary on top of the main map window. it would be very nice to have a secondary section of this force pool which is used much less to be on a tab under the primary section. such tabbed windows are of course available for charts, but don’t seem to be available for maps (which i think i need to use for anything that supports the placement of counters/cards/etc.)

i know scroll bars and players just using their window sizing superpowers can address this problem, but just wondering about a tabbed presentation here because it would be more elegant.

thanks for any ideas,

bruce

Thus spake “brucesears”:

This is in the works. Brent’s been looking into making all of the the large
UI components dockable/tabbable.

J.

Messages mailing list
Messages@forums.vassalengine.org
forums.vassalengine.org/mailman/ … engine.org

Post generated using Mail2Forum (mail2forum.com)

excellent. that would be very nice.

thanks for the work guys!

Hi Bruce,

You can add Maps to Chart Window elements, so you can create a Chart with a Tabbed Panel and then add each Force Pool Map to a different Tab.

Regards,
Brent.

*********** REPLY SEPARATOR ***********

On 16/01/2008 at 10:58 AM brucesears wrote:

Brent Easton
Analyst/Programmer
University of Western Sydney
Email: b.easton@uws.edu.au

Messages mailing list

excellent! thanks for the tip.

Brent,

I tried to use this trick of putting maps in Tabbed panel within a Charts component.

The only way to have the maps showing is to have the main map docked into the main windows (that is a map without a button to show it).

If you try the same thing in a module where the main map is not docked (you included a button to show it) then all the maps you defined in tabbed panel won’t show :frowning:

But if you had some at start stack and you try to alter their position, the editor correctly display the map and stack to reposition it.

It is a bug or a (somewhat restrictive) feature ?

It annoys me because I want my main map not to be docked.

grumble :slight_smile:

Ive experimented with this and there would seem to be a catch with
charts/map usage.

The “Main Map” i.e first map defined for the module cannot be a part of a
chart/tabbed panel etc…
In essence a board must exist before the mod can seem to do anything
somewhat (bad description I know).
However any map following after this can exist within tabbed charts

Tim,

My main map is not part of a chart/tabbed panel. It’s just that it’s not docked. And while not docked, maps in chart/tabbed panel are not displayed. :cry:

On the other hand, if I remove the button to hide/show my main map, thus docking it, then save the module, exit vassal and launch it again, then the maps in chart/tabbed panel will show properly (had to save/exit/relaunch because a simple close game/new game ends with a NPE)

I have added Bug 2305254 for this issue. This will be fixed for beta 6.

B.

Messages mailing list

Swampwallaby-work@4500 has the fix for this bug.

B.

Messages mailing list

Brent,

Thanks a helluva lot :slight_smile:

It’s been a long since I last worked on my ongoing module for EuroFront2 but now that I got back to it, you can count on me to continue poking around in your latest builds and “helping” you bringing some more bugs into focus :wink:

David,

While I have you…

Whats is the status of the ‘Cannot move regions’ in the Eurofront module problem? I have not been able to download a working version of your module to test.

Brent.

*********** REPLY SEPARATOR ***********

On 17/11/2008 at 2:18 PM Aradiel wrote:

Messages mailing list

Thus spake “Brent Easton”:

Merged to trunk@4503.

J.

Messages mailing list

Brent,

As of build 4504, the bug is still there. I posted the module again but at a different place: aradiel.free.fr/vassal/EuF2_irr_grid
I checked it by downloading it again and it works well with Vassal. I’ll update the bug in sourceforge.