Bad Data in Module: Source: -- The War for the Union

I’ve been trying to use/update Compass’ “The War for the Union” module. All works well through 3.5.8, but then in 3.6.0+ the console spits out a bunch of Bad Data in Module output. Example:

• Bad Data in Module: Source: Prototype Error: Movement Trail trait found above/inside a Can Rotate trait which could rotate it, and will probably not work properly… Turn on the Audit Trail preference to generate more details in the errorlog.
  • Bad Data in Module: Source: Army of N. Va Error: Movement Trail trait found above/inside a Can Rotate trait which could rotate it, and will probably not work properly… Turn on the Audit Trail preference to generate more details in the errorlog.
  • Bad Data in Module: Source: Army of Tenn Error: Movement Trail trait found above/inside a Can Rotate trait which could rotate it, and will probably not work properly… Turn on the Audit Trail preference to generate more details in the errorlog.
  • Bad Data in Module: Source: Army of Miss Error: Movement Trail trait found above/inside a Can Rotate trait which could rotate it, and will probably not work properly… Turn on the Audit Trail preference to generate more details in the errorlog.

I tried turning off the traits ID’d in the error log but it doesn’t seem to stop any of this.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

If a Movement Trail trait is placed above a Can Rotate trait (whether directly or inside of two different prototypes), then the Can Rotate tries to rotate the Movement Trail and this creates problems.

It would be creating the same problem in 3.5.8 and prior, it’s just that in 3.6 we added a warning about it to help people prevent the mistake (if you try rotating one of your pieces while the movement trail is on, you’ll get he idea – movement trail will either disappear or worse). What we did NOT predict was prior modules having had this problem for years and people just hadn’t noticed.

So, here are the options:

• When 3.6.2 arrives later today, we’ve removed the warning from the Player – so that people can continue to play these modules without seeing a bunch of warning. It will still warn in the Editor so that people can find and catch these errors, but by removing the warnings from the Player we hopefully make things easier for folks just using old modules.
  • You could also find any Movement Trails traits and move them to be listed lower than any Can Rotate traits in the same piece. This would be in the Editor and you could use the Search feature. This would actually correct the underlying issue.

Brian

2 Likes

Thanks. I did try to do what you described but maybe it’s in multiple places and I may not have caught them all.

If you go in the Editor, you can use the Search to find “Movement Trail”. (Turn on the “Advanced Search” checkbox and make sure all the boxes below it are checked – that way you’ll find the name of the trait).

Then just search forward – I looked in the module and there are about 20-ish instances. You can just move the Movement Trail trait down to the bottom of the list.

Thanks. I went in and I think it’s all good now.

I appreciate your help!

2 Likes

Cool. If you feel like uploading that to the site as an improved version, that might save someone else some trouble down the line!

2 Likes