Been a while. Need help.

A couple of years ago I was making mods and playing Vassal everyday. Then I got sick. The bad kind of cancer. I have finally recovered and fired up my Vassal and now none of my mods work! None of the maps are loading. I imagine it is because something has changed in the Vassal engine since I have been gone but I do not know what it is. Can anyone help me?

You are going to have to supply some more details–what operating system? What version of VASSAL are you running?

Win 10. Vassal ver. 3.2.16. I tried the most recent version of Vassal and when it didn’t work I uninstalled it and installed an older version.

Hi Rozar,

Can you answer a few questions and describe the way it fails when you use the newer version of Vassal?

• Does VASSAL itself load, but then your module doesn’t work?
  • Or VASSAL itself doesn’t even load at all?
  • What are some modules (name and preferably version number) that you are trying to run.

We work hard to try to keep old modules running when VASSAL gradually upgrades, so hopefully we can get you going again soon!

Brian

Vassal loads. Everything seems fine but the play area (map board) doesn’t appear. All the buttons across the top appear, the dice roller works fine, only the map doesn’t show. :frowning:

Modules I have been trying to run are mostly ones of my own creation. I made hundreds of modules of games of my own. As a test, I also loaded a few games from the module library that I used to play. Same problem with those also.

In Vassal 3.2.17 and, I’m guessing in v3.2.16 also, there was a bug whereby modules would behave as you describe. The map was actually loaded, just not being given any space in the window. Also, the slider button wasn’t showing. The workaround was to first get the slider button to show by making the main window smaller (drag bottom right corner towards the middle of the screen). The slider button shows and can then be used normally - slide up or down and the map should become visible.

A variant of the bug was that the map would be on screen but minimised in another window.

It was fixed one of the early releases of v3.3.

Hope this helps.

Thus spake rozar5:

Vassal loads. Everything seems fine but the play area (map board)
doesn’t appear. All the buttons across the top appear, the dice roller
works fine, only the map doesn’t show. :frowning:

Check if the divider between the chat pane and the map is pulled all the
way to the bottom of the window.

J.

No go. I pulled the screen until it was very small and I get no slider bar across the bottom of the screen. I do get the vertical slider. I checked the chat pane also and that didn’t work either. I am using Armageddon War and Blackbeard modules to test with.

Thus spake rozar5:

No go. I pulled the screen until it was very small and I get no slider
bar across the bottom of the screen. I do get the vertical slider. I
checked the chat pane also and that didn’t work either. I am using
Armageddon War and Blackbeard modules to test with.

Post a screenshot from after you’ve opened one of these modules.

J.