Board bug

I was spectating a game of Vassal 40k (http://www.vassal40k.com/) and I received a bug report as I opened the board. I’m using the latest versions of the Vassal Engine, the module and Java.

Below is the errorLog file (for some reason the forum won’t let me attach the file), though if anyone knows a quick way for me to fix this, I would be very grateful.

If I have posted too much of the file’s contents, I apologise, but I would rather be thorough when dealing with a bug that makes a module practically unusable, than to let it continue by not providing enough information.

EDIT: The bug itself causes the board window to freeze. Once this happens, I am unable to zoom or pan my view of the board, nor does hovering the mouse over a unit display a close-up of the model with player-added details (such as upgrades). The closest thing to a work-around I was able to find was restarting the program; though it hardly warrants being called that when the bug returns just a minute or two later.

Hi,

I need some more information please as I have been unable to reproduce the problem.

On 28/06/2009 at 5:47 PM ShadowFighter15 wrote:

What do you mean by ‘I opened the board’. Could you please post a detailed list of the steps I need to perform to reproduce the issue.

Thanks,
B.

Messages mailing list
Messages@forums.vassalengine.org
forums.vassalengine.org/mailman/ … engine.org

Post generated using Mail2Forum (mail2forum.com)

I followed the steps listed in the module’s user guide; loading the module, selecting to search for games online, entered a room by double-clicking on it’s entry in the room list (and then waiting to connect), right-clicked on the name of one of the other people in the room and chose “Synchronise” from the right-click menu.

When the next dialogue box opened (to determine if I was a player or observer), I chose ‘observer’. Finally, I clicked on the button labelled “Board” at the top of the screen (which would normally open a screen to show the current state of the game board) at which point (or shortly after) I received the bug report message.

Thanks for the detailed description.

I’ve just tried the same thing in 5 different rooms and was not able to generate the error, so it appears to be related to the specific state of the game. This is good news because it does not appear to be a complete showstopper. Do you find the same thing?

Looking at the code, I can see how the problem can occur, but I can’t see why, or what the specific circumstances are to recreate it. I will go ahead and fix the code to be more robust, to be included in the 3.1.8 release.

I’ve opened a new bug report for this:

Bug [2813782] NPE in VASSAL.counters.AreaOfEffect.getArea

Regards,
B.

On 28/06/2009 at 11:32 PM ShadowFighter15 wrote:

Messages mailing list

Joel,

Fix committed to swampwallaby-3.1@5788

B.

Messages mailing list

Just to be sure, is there any quick work-around to solve this, or will I have to wait for the next version of the engine? (Not that I mind waiting; I’d probably never get around to actually playing a game of V40k even if this bug wasn’t around.)

Thus spake “ShadowFighter15”:

As soon as I’ve merged Brent’s change, I’ll do a test build which you
can try. (I’ll see to it this evening.)

J.

Messages mailing list

Are you saying that you get this bug every time you try and play V40K, with every room you try and join? Or did this happen just once and you didn’t try again?

I joined 5 different games in a row using Vassal 3.1.7 and the latest V40K module and I could not get the problem you described to occur.

Thx,
B.

Messages mailing list

It happened about four or five times in the one room. I was about to try another game after reading that last post, but the program’s not launching. Error text files have appeared in the launch directory for each time I tried to launch the engine. This line’s near the start:

EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION (0xc0000005) at pc=0x6d838fff, pid=3956, tid=432

Which I assume is the general problem. If it’s a Java problem then this is annoying; I updated it about 24 hours ago.

We need the whole file in order to see what’s going on.

J.

Messages mailing list

This is from the latest of the files:

This is a bug in the JVM. You should report it to Sun, using the URL they
give here.

J.

Messages mailing list

Thus spake “Brent Easton”:

Merged to 3.1@5793, trunk@5795.

In 5794, I did some minor refactoring: Two of the variables at the
head of the method are used in only one of the two cases, so I moved
them into that case.

I’ve uploaded a test build, VASSAL-3.1.8-svn5795, here:

nomic.net/~uckelman/tmp/vassal/

J.

Messages mailing list

Strangest thing; I used the older version of Vassal (3.1.7) just to see if the problem had somehow been caused by another program I had open (Steam, Winamp, GTalk) and the program’s working fine. The only program I didn’t have open was Winamp, but I don’t know how that could affect Java.

I’ve still got the installer for 3.1.8-svn build 5821 in case the bug rears its ugly head again.

Which bug are you talking about here? The problem with AreaOfAffect, which
is fixed in 3.1.9, or the JVM crash?

J.

Messages mailing list

Both; Vassal’s working perfectly now and I didn’t change a thing, like I said, I’m still using 3.1.7.

The AreaOfEffect bug is dependent on what counters are showing and in what state. Try turning on a Range Circle on a model.

B.

Messages mailing list

Well I shouldn’t have spoken so soon; bug came up while I was watching a game earlier tonight. I think it was when someone was trying to mark one of their vehicles with the Weapon Destroyed marker. Anyway, I’ll uninstall the version of Vassal I’m using at the moment and try the latest SVN build. I’ll get back to you after I’ve spectated a few games to let you know if the bug pops up again or not.

Good news; latest SVN build doesn’t have the bug in it. Thank you for the help.