can not read vdmx fies

Hello,
I downloaded the PG uber Vassal module and I started to add the initial vdmx file (as reccomended in the PG-HQ web site).

I tried to download several time the vdmx files and I updated the Vassal engine (moving from 3.4.7 to 3.4.12) to no avail.

PG-HQ folks were not able to help me, may be there is a problem with my PC.

I should also clarify that all VMOD files work fine.

I will upload a word file were I pasted the error message and the Java scripts that appear.

I really hope you can help me.

Ottavio

Ok. What were the exact steps you took? What was the result? What were you expecting to happen?

Thanks a lot for the reply,

here you are a better explenation

INFO ON MY PC and on the Vassal Module

Model HP elitebook

• Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise
  • CPU: 8 GB
  • Processor: Intel(R) Core™ i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz 2.71 GHz
  • Memory: 465 GB (288 GB still available)
  • Video Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 620
  • Vassal version: 3.4.12
    Java version: Version 8 update 251 ( build 1.8.0_251-b08)
  • Vassal module name: Panzer Grenadier Über version 2.6
  • The vdmx file not working is called Minefields version 3.1
    Both files can be downloaded (once you become a PG-HQ member) from the PG-HQ web site pg-hq.com/vassal-hub.php?sector=library
    additional vdmx files should be downloaded for maps and counters, but the problem arises up-front as soon as I try to add the Minefields vdmx file (its full name is: Core_Data_Minefields.vdmx)

THE PROBLEM

The VMOD module works fine once you open it from the Vassal main page.
Then you want to add the vdmx file. I take the usual steps, i.e. right click on Panzer Grenadier Über line choose add extension, select the Core_Data_Minefields.vdmx file and try to open it.
Then I get the error message unable to write the file.

Please note that no other PG-HQ user has so far reported this problem. Probably it is related to my PC or to the configuration of my PC (Italian specificities?, one of the guys that runs PG-HQ has hypothesized that there might be a problem with the umlaut character Ü
Please also note that I made an attempt with vdmx files of the Panzer Blitz mod and it seems that they do not work, even if I do not get error messages. In this case there would not be problems with the umlaut but a more general issue with my PC.

I would like to post the script of the error message and all the Java scrpt line. I have a PDF file with the image printed but the one-page file is too large and I can not post it.
Could I send it by mail?

Ottavio

The problem is your file extension.

Vassal extensions are “vmdx”, not “vdmx”

There’s no need to make a PDF of the error. You could post the text here.

Hi there,
the problem was not with the file extension, it was just a typo on my side.

I sorted it out. You can not operate vdmx files (at least in my PC) within the programs path.

The issue was that my PC would not let the vdmx program run directly from the C:\programs folder in which Vassal installs itself;
I had created a folder in C:\Program Files\VASSAL-3.4.12, calling it C:\Program Files\VASSAL-3.4.12\MOD and a second folder named C:\Program Files\VASSAL-3.4.12\VMDX

When trying to add the vmdx files to the mod I had the error message.

Now I moved somewhere else the MOD and the VMDX folders (i.e. C:\PG\MOD and C:\PG\VDMX) and it all works.

Thank you, anyway

Yes, that makes sense. Put user files in your user directory. Don’t put them in C:\Program Files. That goes not just for for VASSAL, but for any program on Windows.