Cannot add modules to VASSAL

A couple days ago the Terraforming Mars module would open, but occasionally stop loading log files. If I quit the module and relaunched it, it would load logfiles (until it didn’t). I don’t have VASSAL error logs from then, and I’m quite sure I hadn’t made any major software updates in the last week.

Yesterday, it stopped loading log files completely. My friend had the same issue and had updated Java, restarted his computer, removed the module, and reinstalled the module. Now he’s able to load logfiles.

I tried the same steps, but after removing the Terraforming Mars module, VASSAL wouldn’t let me add the new module at all. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling Java (followed by restarting the computer), and uninstalling and reinstalling VASSAL itself, but now I am just stuck with no modules. I can no longer add any of the previous VASSAL modules I’d had. (Yes, I’m using File > Open, not File > Import.)

Attached is the entire VASSAL error log when I try to open a new module from the File > Open menu.

Additional information:

Model: MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Mid 2014)
OS: macOS Mojave 10.14.2
CPU: 2.8 GHz Intel Core i5
Memory: 8 GB
Video: Intel Iris 1536 MB
VASSAL: 3.2.17 (both before and after reinstalling VASSAL)
Java: 1.8.0_201-b09
Module: Terraforming Mars A-2.1 (but I can’t add any modules) … rs_21.vmod

Problem solved. A friend with essentially the same computer, OS, Java/VASSAL versions was able to load modules just fine. He noticed that the following line in the log referred to an accessibility issue with the Finder and suggested that some other utility or application might somehow be interfering.

2019-01-22 07:17:31,601 [0-AppKit Thread] WARN - java.lang.RuntimeException: Non-Java exception raised, not handled! (Original problem: "AXTitleUIElement" attribute unsupported by: <FI_TTextField: 0x7f7f057ba980>)

The culprit was a deprecated third-party mouse manager. If I don’t use that mouse manager, I can add modules just fine.

I don’t understand why the problem only appeared in the last week—I hadn’t upgraded the OS, VASSAL, Java, etc. But at least the problem is solved.