Cant find 'At-Start' Stack object.

Hi everyone,

I try to build a Vassal module for testing a game design.
While I do have a programmers background I have little experience in Vassal.
I did have a closer look at the tutorials, recreated ‘zap wars’ and changed things here and there to get a feeling how things work. In general, I can find my way but sometimes the reference manual is hard to follow.

For instance, in my game I want a predefined set of counters, one of each allowed in the game.
The reference manual on ‘PieceWindow’ states the following:

If I follow the link for ‘At-Start Stack’ in the quote I get to the page for ‘SetupStack’ which states for the ‘At-Start Stack’ the following:

Exactly what I need.

… But where do I create an ‘At-Start Stack’ object in the tree? I cant find it!

I get the feeling that the manual pages is using terms and definitions for Vassal version x while I try do work with version y.
By the way, the version I work with is 3.2.16

What is going wrong here? What do I miss? Where in the tree can I create a ‘At-Start Stack’ object?

Any suggetions are welcome.

Found it!
It is in root/Map where I can make a ‘At-Start Stack’.
Learned another lesson of ‘RTFM’ :blush:

At-Start stacks are fine if your game only has one starting position (scenario), or for units that are in the same position in every scenario.

If you have multiple scenarios, then you are better off creating all of your units in the game piece palette (which has the added advantage of keeping all of your unit definitions in one place, making maintenance easier). Then create your scenario start-ups by pulling the appropriate units from the palette and saving the start position as a save game.

Rgds.

I’m also learning how to add custom code and went through the ZapWars tutorial. I’ve managed to add quite a bit of custom code now and it all seems to work well. There is a large barrier to entry, though - the tutorial is not quite as beginner-friendly as it should be, I think. I am curious to know what custom code you intend to add to your own module. We may each be puzzling over the same issues.