Can't flip counters

For whatever reason, I’m unable to flip some counters with either the drop down menu or using the shortcut kets (ctrl-F). This doesn’t apply to every counter I attempt to flip, just some counters and happens with both friendly and opponent counters.

I’m having this problem across multiple modules (Battle Above the Clouds, Paths of Glory, and Napoleaonic Wars).

I’ve tried reloading the modules and even reloading Vassal (3.2.2) itself to no avail.

The only solution is to ID which counters need to be flipped, and then send the logfile to my opponent who then flips the counters on his end. Needless to say, not the most elegant solution.

Any thoughts?

Can you verify what version of VASSAL your opponent is using?

We’re all using 3.2.2. It’s also not with just one opponent. I’m encountering this with a couple other players.

They’re both able to flip the counters when I send them the log file, it’s just me who can’t.

I have seen this in both 3.1.17 and 3.1.19 and the only way we got around it was to delete the counter and replace it with a new (same) one from the counters list.

It seemed to be associated with the “Reset” command. If you selected “Reset” by mistake (was non-useful in our module) then often the flip problem occurred on that counter afterward.

Thus spake gordomg:

For whatever reason, I’m unable to flip some counters with either the
drop down menu or using the shortcut kets (ctrl-F). This doesn’t apply
to every counter I attempt to flip, just some counters and happens with
both friendly and opponent counters.

I’m having this problem across multiple modules (Battle Above the
Clouds, Paths of Glory, and Napoleaonic Wars).

I’ve tried reloading the modules and even reloading Vassal (3.2.2)
itself to no avail.

The only solution is to ID which counters need to be flipped, and then
send the logfile to my opponent who then flips the counters on his end.
Needless to say, not the most elegant solution.

Any thoughts?

Does this happen with a recent dev build, such as 3.2.3-svn8566?

vassalengine.sourceforge.net/builds/

J.

Both myself and my online friend ran into this tonight. Both of us upgraded to 3.2.2 and both of us very often have to click and issue the command to flip twice to get a counter face-up after it being turned face down earlier.

The first time you flip it, the counter is fine and responds immediately. To flip it back you have to either:
a) select it by clicking on it and then select the flip command, and then do that same action a second time; or
b) select it and then type CTRL F twice

The only time you don’t have to do this is if the counter of interest is on top of a stack. In that case you double-click the stack to get it to expand with the top counter selected. Then you only need to execute the flip command once.

It doesn’t happen all the time and so far its hard to find any pattern to this other than the case of expanding a stack.

Further to this, I just tried the same starting game file with 3.2.3-svn8566 and the problem is still there.

I can give a link for the module and the save file, if desired.

PS: Actually this is probably the wrong thread. The behaviour I see is more like that described in “Unit ‘flip’ Problem with 3.2.2”