Can't open modules using the Vassal engine for Mac

I just downloaded Vassal-3.1.19 for a Macbook. Then I downloaded two different mods for Rise and Decline of the Third Reich. I am unable to open either mod.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

More info: The Macbook has OS X version 10.6.8

Also, it has Java VisualVM version: 1.6.0_31

I also have the same version of Vassal on a Mac. I tried a few of the 3R modules and they all seem to open fine.

Can you describe the steps you are taking to launch the modules? Does anything happen when you are unable to open them (is there an error message, or something like that?)

Thus spake fangotango:

I just downloaded Vassal-3.1.19 for a Macbook. Then I downloaded two
different mods for Rise and Decline of the Third Reich. I am unable to
open either mod.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Modules are ZIP archives. The most likely cause of the problem is that
OS X helpfully unzipped them for you. What are the names of the files
you’re trying to open?

J.

Thanks for your response.

The computer belongs to a friend, so I have asked him what the exact words in the message from the computer, but I think it is simply something like “this cannot be opened by Vassal”.

I downloaded the module, as well as Vassal. Then a select the module, and select to open it using Vassal. At that point, after a short while, it eventually says that the mod cannot be opened by Vassal.

I use a PC, and am unfamiliar with Macs. I have been using a whole bunch of Vassal mods for the past year or so, without any problems, including all the Third Reich mods.

Thanks for your response.

The Mac belongs to a friend, and I am a PC user, so I’m a but lost trying to help him install and use Vassal. The 3R mods are A3R_Rev1682, and another one by a friend that is not on the Vassal site.

Is there some way to convince the OS X to not auto-unzip the modules?

Best way to launch the file is to launch Vassal itself, then in the Module Manager, pick File>Open.

Tried that first, but got nothing. Not even an explanation.

Does this problem happen with all modules, or just the Third Reich ones? Pick a different module or two and try.

Also, if you can, please try to get the text of any message your friend got when the module failed to open.

I will try other modules when I next see him. I have also emailed him to find out exactly what the message is we get when we try to open the modules.

Thanks

I finally go together with my friend, and tried this approach again, and it worked! I think on my PC I am so used to just opening the save and log files by double-clicking them, and doing the same to add a new module to the Vassal Engine, that I am unfamiliar with open modules from Vassal. I must have selected the incorrect options to add a module somehow the first time I tried it. It seems you can’t take as many short-cuts with a Mac.

Thanks to everyone for their advice! Greatly appreciated.

New problem with Mac. With the help of this thread, I got my Mac friend set-up with Vassal, and we are trying to start a game of Rise and Decline of the Third Reich.

When he sends me a .vsav file, I can open it just fine on my PC. When I send him a .vsav file, it arrives as a .zip file, and he cannot open it using Vassal.

Any suggestions? What are we doing wrong?

Thanks

I started a new thread with this same question. I would delete the previous post, but I don’t see an option to do so.