Committing debaters

I must misunderstand the rules about committing debaters.

I don’t really see the sense of committing debaters.

If I commit for instance Luther and Melanchton they provide 1CP each for translations during the whole turn. So:

• each time I spend 1CP for translation during that turn the marker is advanced by 3.
    and:
  • If I have for instance a New Testament translation marker op postion 5 and lack 1 more to finish, can I use the Luther and Melanchton extra CP’s to advance de Bible translation by 2?

If I understand it correctly, committing the debaters, has no other impact in the game. So I do not really see what’s the need to turn them to committed. Committing is free at no expense!

Can someone correct me where necessary?

…was this supposed to be its own post?

You’ll have much better results by asking game-specific rule queries in other forums. For Here I Stand, I would recommend the BGG forum for the game or the Consimworld folder.

Fortunately you can get an answer in this case, and yes you are misunderstanding the rules. Debater bonuses last for one impulse only, not the entire turn–and you can commit only one at a time (re-read page 28). Committing a debater makes them slightly more vulnerable in debates (they roll fewer dice in defense), so you generally want to be careful about the sequencing. Committing a weak debater early in a turn invites the Papacy to use Eck’s special debate attack ability to specifically target a lone committed debater and possibly get a burn.

thanks for the valuable info.

so, theoretically one could have 1 impulse with up to 5 CP spent in translation and each time get two extra CP’s by Luther and Melanchton, translating a NT and a Bible in one Impulse?

No. One debater can be voluntarily committed per impulse. So for a 5 CP card, you can get a maximum of 6 CP worth of translation in one impulse. A New Testament plus a Bible is a total of 16 CP.