Comparing looks between 3.1.16 and 3.2

Since there’s been quite a bit of back and forth about the graphical changes in 3.2, I’m going to post a direct comparison between the two on the same system. There’s quite a bit of stuff that is different.

I’m running Win7 64-bit, and I’m using Vassal 3.1.16 and 3.2.0-svn7898

First: the module manager:

Note the ‘Refresh’ in the on-line window. I’ll be getting back to that in a while.

(By the way, I’ve never been able to control the window divider correctly. I have to keep the window that wide so that the main window doesn’t get cut down more than I’d like when Vassal loads.)

And a direct comparison of the two:

I’m not having any trouble with vertical scaling. The symbols have changed a bit, generally to be more standardized. (A normal Windows user should recognize the ‘plus’ symbols, but I know of at least one person who was mystified by the ‘tadpole’ of the old symbol set.)

Not only is the font smaller, it is different. They’re very similar, but if you closely examine the ‘4’ and the ‘&’ you can see they are different fonts. I’m guessing that one or the other does not abide to the normal height guides, and that is why there is a size difference.

Next: a look at the F&E module.

By the way, I recommend viewing the above images directly. The forum software is cutting them off.

Here’s a direct comparison of the main control bar for the F&E module in 3.1.16 (top), and 3.2:

The controls are definitely a bit smaller, which is not a problem in itself. However, the reason why they’re smaller is that all the markings of them being buttons are gone, and they’re running together in a way that is very confusing looking. Pay especial attention to the right side (cut off in the forum view) where there’s a bunch of buttons with no graphic, and the text just runs into each other. Something really needs to be done here.

And here’s one of the more involved counter menus:

The drop-down selection has changed style and looks better now. However, the tabs have some problems. I like ‘notch’ of the old Vassal tabs, which was a great signal as to what they were. Beyond that, these tabs aren’t system standard either. Normally, Windows generated tab controls have rounded corners at the top, instead of the straight sharp ones shown here.

More serious is the fact that between the placement of the text on the tabs, and the extra height of the selected tab, it is cutting off the descenders of the text in the row above. (And I just discovered a typo to go squash.)

And here’s a direct comparison of what the tree looks like in 3.2, and Windows Explorer in Win7:

Now that the new style uses the ‘plus’ expand symbol that Windows has used since 95, they’ve moved on to the arrow symbol. :stuck_out_tongue:

The folder symbol seems to be the same. the grey dot that has replaced the old page symbol really looks poor, and I hope you can find something else to use instead.

But the main thing is that you can see that the spacing and font size are different from what the system is using. Also, it is indeed a different font; compare the crossbars on the lowercase 't’s. If it’s meant to be pulling out from system preferences, you’re not getting what Win7 actually ends up using.

Thus spake Rindis:

Since there’s been quite a bit of back and forth about the graphical
changes in 3.2, I’m going to post a direct comparison between the two on
the same system. There’s quite a bit of stuff that is different.

I’m running Win7 64-bit, and I’m using Vassal 3.1.16 and 3.2.0-svn7898

First: the module manager:
[1]
Note the ‘Refresh’ in the on-line window. I’ll be getting back to that
in a while.

(By the way, I’ve never been able to control the window divider
correctly. I have to keep the window that wide so that the main window
doesn’t get cut down more than I’d like when Vassal loads.)

And a direct comparison of the two:
[2]
I’m not having any trouble with vertical scaling. The symbols have
changed a bit, generally to be more standardized. (A normal Windows user
should recognize the ‘plus’ symbols, but I know of at least one person
who was mystified by the ‘tadpole’ of the old symbol set.)

Not only is the font smaller, it is different. They’re very similar,
but if you closely examine the ‘4’ and the ‘&’ you can see they are
different fonts. I’m guessing that one or the other does not abide to
the normal height guides, and that is why there is a size difference.

Next: a look at the F&E module.

I was looking back at this just now to check whether these things
are still a problem, but the images linked here are gone.

Are these things still problematic with 3.2.0-svn8096 or later?

J.

Once you got away from Windows L&F, all this went away.