Copying Global Properties

Hey everyone,

I’m building a module right now where each player has A LOT of global properties tied to their side. I’m talking over 100.

My plan was to create the global properties for one side, then copy them and just change the name based on which player the property applies to. The issue is, apparently you cannot copy/paste globals except for individually.

I put the global properties in the [global properties] section of Player 1’s map. I was going to just copy [global_properties] over to Player 2’s map, but it will not let me paste.

So…is there an easy way to copy/paste global properties? Doing each one separately for each player will take me forever.

Thanks,

Dave

A few (admittedly non-optimal) solutions:

1. Copy the entire map, then change the things that make player 2’s map different. If the only differences are things like zones, grids, stacks, etc., those can be copy-pasted.

2. (Maybe) Make the copy on a BuildFile level. Close module. Backup module file (highly recommended). Change extension to ‘.zip’. Open and edit BuildFile in Wordpad (or some other simple text editor). Find section corresponding to Global Properties in Player 1 Map. Copy to section for Player 2 Map. Change extension back to ‘.vmod’.

Note: I’m not 100% sure this will work, as I’m not sure if Global Properties have unique identifiers the way I believe pieces do. A quick look in the BuildFile should tell you.

On a side note, I’ve found that BuildFile level editing works wonders for late changes to Prototype names, Trigger keystrokes, etc. Simple Find->Replace changes all references at once (instead of having to modify every piece separately).