Corrupted Save Game File ?

I have a technical bug some where and I cannot figure it out.

I play one of the games downloaded from Vassal’s module library. I liked it a lot and began to add more pieces, map replacement etc, learning as I went.

So much show I used this as a template so to speak for another board game. I’m running 3.2.17

Both games mods work fine. Except when I launch a save game file on game #1 (original) it intermixes pieces and maps from game #2. A jumble in most cases. The saved game on game #2 is OK.

Any ideas on what this is causing this ? I know there is a pathway issue but it’s not obvious to me.

Dave T

Saved games in Vassal turn out to save the actual prototypes and underlying “code” for all the pieces. So you can’t generally use a saved game written with a later version of the module.

So if you made a saved game from “game #2” and then tried to load it into “game #1” then it will of course not work.

Also if you made a save with “game #1” before you added a bunch of stuff to it, and then tried to reload the save in the version of the module you’d added a lot of stuff to (even though still theoretically “game #1”), then this can also produce unusual effects.

But if you are making saves with “game #1” NOW, and then when you reload them in the same module you’re suddenly getting “game #2” stuff, then I’m wondering if you might have gotten mixed up when you were doing some of your editing and there is some game #2 stuff actually in your game #1 file now? Each of Game #1 and Game #2 should have its OWN vmod file – the first step if you’re going to use a Game #1 module as a template to make a Game #2 module would normally be to do a “Save As” of the whole module to a different name (name of Game #2) and then start creating your new module from there.

Hopefully this helps troubleshoot?

Thus spake dturnick:

I have a technical bug some where and I cannot figure it out.

I play one of the games downloaded from Vassal’s module library. I
liked it a lot and began to add more pieces, map replacement etc,
learning as I went.

So much show I used this as a template so to speak for another board
game. I’m running 3.2.17

Both games mods work fine. Except when I launch a save game file on
game #1 (original) it intermixes pieces and maps from game #2. A
jumble in most cases. The saved game on game #2 is OK.

Any ideas on what this is causing this ? I know there is a pathway
issue but it’s not obvious to me.

Dave T

Saved games contain complete piece and board definitions. If you save
a game in module #2 and open it using module #1, you will get game
components from module #2.

J.

So, to clarify when I open a saved game it launches but it is pulling in pieces from from other games. What’s even more bizzare, I have four games, four vmods. When I save a game from the game #3 , it mucks up the save game from game #2. When I save from game #4, game #3 save game file is mucked up.

There is a pattern to this, some path–way misalignment, I just cannot figure it out.

Dave