CPU profiling

Thus spake Flint1b:

As I already said in another thread, modern Java applications use all
CPU cores to get things done, while Vassal only uses 1 core.

Also, this isn’t true. VASSAL does some very heavyweight things—
nearly all of the image processing—using a thread pool.

J.

I haven’t noticed that. When I stopped the time for the “load new scenario” use case, I saw only one core being used in top/ntop. A minute of processing in the background, no GUI changes, only 1 core being used, it must be possible to improve this by using more cores.

Thus spake Flint1b:

I haven’t noticed that. When I stopped the time for the “load new
scenario” use case, I saw only one core being used in top/ntop. A minute
of processing in the background, no GUI changes, only 1 core being used,
it must be possible to improve this by using more cores.

You wouldn’t see any threads loading or manipulating images during that,
as loading a saved game doesn’t involve any painting.

J.

Yes, that’s what I’m saying. Must be possible to cut down 1 minute of initializing internal state on one core to 10-20 seconds on 4+ cores.

For anything where user invoked automation is being executed, there is no way you will ever be able to do any parallel processing. It has to run single threaded in a guaranteed order or you will get different results each time it runs. There is no way to tell which Commands in a command stream are dependent on an earlier Command having already been performed.

I am mostly talking about the 1-2 minute startup time. That is the worst.

Otherwise the app runs fine, except for some special commands on some special units.

Thus spake Brent Easton:

I really like the idea of implementing a top-hat trait that we place on
top of each GamePiece when it is created so that every single unit has
one.

I’m in the middle of trying this.

J.

I’ve added PieceWrapper, a Decorator subclass that’s intended to be a top-level trait. I’m not getting this to work—I see lots of exceptions when loading any module. What I’m I doing wrong?

github.com/uckelman/vassal/tree … ccess_work

(Everything up to 548d06b is refactoring. It’s only from that commit onward that I’ve added PieceWrapper.)

It could be interesting to run this CPU profiling on the module I made:

http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Verdun:_A_Generation_Lost

There is a horrible lag when you move units connected to the German and French Artillery Tables. These tables were made to automate the calculation of range and firepower of artillery on a specific target. I managed to implement this without a custom class but used many Java expressions in the traits. I suppose these expressions have to be interpreted X numer of times and the whole is therefore very slow.

I have switched to playing my current PBEM games with the current master. With the PieceCloner improvement merged playing became much more fun, I am not going back again.