Deleting excess images

So my game has gone through a lot of edits n changes to piece images… I am talking close to 1,000 images that aren’t used anymore but are filed away when you go under “basic piece” and hit the drop down.

I am wondering if there is a way to go in and find and delete all the old ones that are not needed for two reasons: 1. Makes finding stuff on the list easier and 2. To help lower my mb size.

Any help is greatly appreciated

Thus spake jakekelly386 via messages:

So my game has gone through a lot of edits n changes to piece images… I
am talking close to 1,000 images that aren’t used anymore but are
filed away when you go under “basic piece” and hit the drop down.

I am wondering if there is a way to go in and find and delete all the
old ones that are not needed for two reasons: 1. Makes finding stuff on
the list easier and 2. To help lower my mb size.

Any help is greatly appreciated

From 3.5 onward there will be a function in the Editor for removing unused
images. Until then, you can unzip the module file with any archive tool
(e.g., 7Zip) that can handle ZIP archives, remove the images you no longer
want from the images/ directory, and rezip the module.

J.

messages mailing list
messages@vassalengine.org
vassalengine.org/mailman/listinfo/messages

Thank you!

If I use the default archive utility on MacOS to unzip/re-zip a module it produces a slightly larger file than the original that is no longer a vmod file. Which tool do people use instead of the default?

Cheers
Geoff

Answering my own question, I am using Entropy. I can delete images in-place without problems
Cheers
Geoff

MacOS inserts an extra folder at the top level of the hierarchy when you uncompress the file. You just need to go down a level and compress all the files/folders from there down-the build file, image folder, etc. This is apparently an OS thing and the behavior is the same regardless of utility. I have tried using Keka and it acts the same way as Archive Utility.

Thanks. I’d rather not spend the $15 or so on Entropy :slight_smile:

There is rarely a good reason to spend money on utilities like that for Mac; the fact that it is Unix-based means that there is usually a good freeware/open-source tool to be had.