Developing for Vassal

Myself and team of friends have been developing a table top style game for a few years. We have the games core mechanics, completely done, and are just tooling some minor things.

We ran into a problem when trying to “release” the game, “How do we do that?”

We can’t quite secure a loan to form a full, independent gaming company, so we’re looking into creating a Vassal Module which would be “our game”. My question is, if we put out this module, is there any support for us “selling” the module, say through our own hosted site, and using Vassal as the medium?

Thus spake RedWolf:

We ran into a problem when trying to “release” the game, “How do we do
that?”

We can’t quite secure a loan to form a full, independent gaming company,
so we’re looking into creating a Vassal Module which would be “our
game”. My question is, if we put out this module, is there any support
for us “selling” the module, say through our own hosted site, and using
Vassal as the medium?

Sure, you’re free to do that, since it’s your game.

J.

You might wanna rewrite your Vassal module in Java, and use Excelsior JET (excelsior-usa.com/jet.html) to encrypt and possibly copy-protect your module codes.

When Vassal 4 comes out, you will want to use C++.

Thus spake viewofheaven:

When Vassal 4 comes out, you will want to use C++.

No, this is not right. Module code will not be in C++, only core code,
and not even all of that.

J.

Corrected. Thanks.

I was addressing OP’s concern about copy-protecting his source codes. Moving forward, if we’re using Python for Module Design, then OP’s concern won’t be addressed at all. For now, I’m happy that VassalEngine is open source and serves gamers. I’m not making games for sale, so I don’t have the OP’s concern.

If anyone is interested in making game module codes private, they can certainly convert all Python codes into C++, and move forward from there, since VassalEngine is open source.