Disconnect when text sent

Hello,

I’ve recently been trying to play on Vassal with a friend of mine. Our FTF game was suspended due to a flood in my basement and I loaned him the older of my two PCs with Vassal already installed on it. We set it up on his wireless network at his house after I bought a USB wireless modem for it.

We connect through the Vassal server and everything works normally, but when I type a message in the message bar and send it - his conenction to the server drops. He sees no evidence of this until later on, for example if he then tries to re-sync with me, then he’ll get the “Lost connection to server” message. From my side, I see our room change from him and me to just me in it, the instant I send the text.

Any ideas, suggestions?

TIA

My initial guess would be he got a bad internet connection at his house. Does he experience any other disconnects, like when downloading a large file?

It’s possible it could be a router and/or firewall problem. I believe the default port for Vassal is 5050. Might try making sure that port is open.

Thanks - good lead. I was assuming that since we connect via the server rather than peer-to-peer, we wouldn’t have to worry about such things.

Thanks to those who responded. My friend has no other connectivity issues and we use Skype (audio only) without a problem while playing so I’m pretty sure it is not his internet or wireless.

We decided to try it peer-to-peer and after setting up port 5050 in our routers, it worked great!

When going through the Vassal server I’ve never had to worry about port 5050 when playing other people, but we plan on trying it again just to see and I’ll post the result.

Another friend mentioned that maybe the issue is something to do with us being both on the same ISP. We have very different public I.P. addresses but maybe there’s some issue with ISP firewall or port settings - anyone ran into problems going through Vassal server when both parties are on the same ISP?

Edit: BTW, I should mention that further testing revealed it wasn’t just texting that dropped the session. It was pretty much any move as well. We’d connect up and sync with no trouble, but when the person who had been synced to did something, the other guy disappeared from the room.

TIA