Does this make any sense?(About copywrite request for a mod)

I got an e-mail back from FFG about the request I had made for making Doom: TBG and releasing to module for all to share…Here is what they sent me back.

[b]Tim:

Thank you for your question. Unfortunately, we cannot allow the
creation of a module for the game. The creator and copyright holder
for Doom, iD Software, would not like a videogame version of the board
game of their videogame, no matter how much like the board game it is.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I hope you understand.

(Reps name deleted by me)
FFG[/b]

I’m sharing this with everyone because I would like your opinions on if you think this statement makes sense about why they declined my request.

Specifically, Would any of YOU consider VASSAL and any module related to VASSAL to be a video game? Now, I’m not bent out of shape about their reply, I kinda expected it honestly but that part threw me off because I don’t consider it that, and don’t think “said rep” even came to the site to check it out.

The next step for me is to ultimately (If given enough support) go directly to ID and contact them since it seems they are the only ones opposing the creation of the module and see if I can’t clear it up with them and then pursue FFG again after explaining to ID what it is really about.

So what are your thoughts, I would like any and all criticism/comments good or bad on this please.

Thank you

No surprises there, they said something similar w/ Arkham Horror pinning it on creator / copyright holder
You are best of going to ID in first place as they are creator / copyright holders.
FFG in general* do not allow creation of Vassal modules of their games. Many have asked to make different modules of their games with same results. This is no different from AP et al.
In most likelyhood they probably did not even ask the creator / copyright holder on your behalf

*They did allow creation of 1 public module which had all information / data / text removed to ensure ownership but that is the exception. I would not be surprised if the module author went to the creator first and did an end-around on FFG :slight_smile:

To: messages@forums.vassalengine.org
Sent: Wednesday, August 19, 2009 12:28:01 PM
Subject: [General Discussion]Does this make any sense?(About copywrite request for a mod)

I got an e-mail back from FFG about the request I had made for making Doom: TBG and releasing to module for all to share…Here is what they sent me back.

Tim:

Thank you for your question. Unfortunately, we cannot allow the
creation of a module for the game. The creator and copyright holder
for Doom, iD Software, would not like a videogame version of the board
game of their videogame, no matter how much like the board game it is.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I hope you understand.

(Reps name deleted by me)
FFG

I’m sharing this with everyone because I would like your opinions on if you think this statement makes sense about why they declined my request.

Specifically, Would any of YOU consider VASSAL and any module related to VASSAL to be a video game? Now, I’m not bent out of shape about their reply, I kinda expected it honestly but that part threw me off because I don’t consider it that, and don’t think “said rep” even came to the site to check it out.

The next step for me is to ultimately (If given enough support) go directly to ID and contact them since it seems they are the only ones opposing the creation of the module and see if I can’t clear it up with them and then pursue FFG again after explaining to ID what it is really about.

So what are your thoughts, I would like any and all criticism/comments good or bad on this please.

Thank you

Messages mailing list
Messages@forums.vassalengine.org (Messages@forums.vassalengine.org)
forums.vassalengine.org/mailman/ … engine.org

Post generated using Mail2Forum (mail2forum.com)

Well, I finally found id software’s e-mail so now I’m just awaiting a reply from them.

I’m just curious, Are there any forum members out there that share an interest for this module , anyone else out there own the game too?

I’m personally not interested in a module for Doom.
But if I were you I would just make the module anyway, but call it something other than “Doom”; You’ll get at least 12 months of play before anyone at ID notices. :slight_smile: And if they (ever) notice, you’ll probably get something like “please remove the file”.

I’ve created almost 30 modules now, and I’m still a free citizen with not a single attempt made on my life! I’m still waiting for my first cease and desist letter.

Ben

Very good point. I’ve already got the module made and have been using it privately with a few other friends but I wanted to be able to share it, That’s why I’ve been hellbent on trying to get permission.

There’s at least one “myth” similar to your anecdote on this web page: templetons.com/brad/copymyths.html