email playing

When playing by email(MM44)l I Start the game with the “Begin Logfile”, draw my cards, order units, do battle, click on “Take Hit”, end turn and then “End Logfile”. When the recipient receives the email, opens it he does not see the Logfile. Shouldn’t he be able to view the Logfile? What am I doing wrong?

Did you forget to include it as an attachment to the email you sent him? Creating a logfile generates a *.vsav file on your computer wherever you elected to save it. This file must be sent to your opponent–either as an email attachment or by saving it to some online storage provider such as Dropbox.

I did attach the saved game. I actually sent the game to myself to test. When taking my first turn I could see the Logfile but not in the email that I sent myself. When I opened my email I opened the attachment and as I mentioned before the Logfile was not there. Is there more than just opening the attachment?

Does it? I thought we had registered for logfiles to be *.vlog so that one could quickly differentiate between a saved game and a log file. Perhaps this was not completed (I note that decks were not finished either)

Yikes, I made an error in my post–a logfile is a .vlog file, not a .vsav–sorry about that. It’s now too late to edit that.

I guess I’m not following you. You said you sent yourself an email with an attachment, but then said the logfile is not there. The general procedure should be this:

1. Create a logfile (ends in .vlog) for your move. Save this file to your computer in a known location.
  2. Email your opponent and attach the .vlog file you created.
  3. He receives the email and saves the attachment to a known location.
  4. He launches VASSAL, opens the M’44 module, and loads this logfile to play it back.

Perhaps he has an overly aggressive email filter on his end that is stripping off the attachment?

Thus spake Tim M:

“JoelCFC25” wrote:

Creating a logfile generates a *.vsav file on your computer wherever
you elected to save it.

Does it? I thought we had registered for logfiles to be *.vlog so that
one could quickly differentiate between a saved game and a log file.
Perhaps this was not completed (I note that decks were not finished
either)

We do save logs as .vlog by default.

J.

How do you

?

Thus spake MrBluze:

How do you

save logs as .vlog by default.

?

Not sure what you’re asking. What I’m saying is that the default
extension for logs is .vlog.
`

J.

When you are doing a log file and you are finished with your turn, in the File pull down menu, click “End Logfile” not “Save Game.” If you click “Save Game” it will create a .vsav file that can’t be replayed. Clicking “End Logfile” will create a .vlog file that can be replayed.

I’m not sure this is your problem but lots of people new to Vassal make this mistake.