Errors when referencing property defined in prototype trait

This might be more of an anomaly - non-fatal. And perhaps I’m just not doing something right.

I have a piece prototype Definition with a Layer trait that references a numeric Dynamic Property that’s defined in another prototype. The prototype that defines the property (I’ll call it the “base prototype”) is included as a Prototype trait in the prototype that references the property (“child prototype”). It seems to work as I intend it to, but I frequently get error messages like the following in the error log when I’m editing the child prototype:

08 Jun 2009 23:39:43.707 2 [Layer - front and back] - Numeric field contains a non-number: followProperty[isShaken]=null
08 Jun 2009 23:39:43.707 2 java.lang.NumberFormatException: For input string: “null”

Similar thing happens if I create a Game Piece based on the child prototype.

“isShaken” is the property defined in the base prototype, “front and back” is the Layer in the child proto that references isShaken. isShaken is a numeric property with min, max and intiial values defined, with wrapping enabled.

Seems that the editor is having difficulty referencing the property, or is not initializing it correctly? Or I’m just doing something wrong? My intended functionality otherwise seems to work correctly, and the error messages don’t seem to appear when I run (play) the module. Nevertheless - unexplained error messages spook me. Even if the errors are innocuous, they pollute the error log.

I tried searching the bug tracker for some of the error text, but came up empty. Has this been reported? Or am I just doing something ill-advised? (I’m new to VASSAL, so still figuring things out).

Running Mac OSX 10.4.11, Java version 1.5.0_16, VASSAL version 3.1.6.

I Attempted to fix this in 3.1.6 as part of

Bug [2794703] StackOverFlow using Embellishment level following property

but I made a mistake. The final fix for this issue will be included in 3.1.7.

B.

Messages mailing list
Messages@forums.vassalengine.org
forums.vassalengine.org/mailman/ … engine.org

Post generated using Mail2Forum (mail2forum.com)

Thus spake “Brent Easton”:

Here’s a reminder for the original poster: Please confirm for us that this
is fixed in the current development build, 3.1.7-svn5731, available here:

nomic.net/~uckelman/tmp/vassal/

J.

Messages mailing list

This didn’t quite make it in. I’ve created a proper bug report for the problem:

Bug [2811307] Extraneous error messages in Embellishment following propert

and finally fixed it in swampwallaby-3.1@5765

B.

Messages mailing list

Thus spake “Brent Easton”:

Merged to 3.1@5773, trunk@5774.

J.

Messages mailing list

Sorry - missed your post. But I checked it out in the 3.1.7 release and it appears to be fixed.