First time using Vassal need some help making a card game

Hi all,

I’m using Vassal to get a prototype of a card game going before I start making actual cards etc. At this point I’d say I’m about 75% done but I still can’t get some things working.

The game is a fairly simple card game simulating a duel between two samurais. The players build a small deck from a selection of cards and then play strikes and blocks into a queue which is slowly cycled back into their hands. Full rules can be read here.

Version 0.2 of my module can be downloaded here.

I’ve used Dr Nostromo’s method of laying out the cards in the card library using a deal button which is great. Each player has their own card library and an empty hand window which they fill with cards. Cards are then played onto the main window.

The problems I’m having are:

1. The Red player is pretty much working perfectly, the Black player however just doesn’t seem to work. Each player should be able to see their hand, their card library and the opponents hand (card backs only if possible) however the black player pretty much just sees what the red player sees (and can’t see his hand at all).

2. Dr N’s deal mechanic doesn’t seem to work in the Black library window even though I think I’ve duplicated all the important functions.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

How are you changing between ‘being’ the Red player and ‘being’ the Black player?

Messages mailing list
Messages@forums.vassalengine.org
forums.vassalengine.org/mailman/ … engine.org

Post generated using Mail2Forum (mail2forum.com)

Hmmm… not sure how exactly.

I created two sides and set them up as in the Vassal card game example.

I tried looking for every way to make the respective maps and boards be ‘owned’ by those sides.

Then I play the game and choose Red, and everything seems fine. I play the game and choose black and everything just looks the same as if I play Red.

It’s very likely I’ve missed something.

In ‘Definition of Sides’, you will need to define two sides, ‘Red’ and ‘Black’.

The maps that can only be viewed by one side must be created as Private Maps and specify which side they belong to.

When you start a game, you will now be asked whether you want to play Red or Black and you will only be able to see the boards of the one side.

Use the retire button, then ‘Join another side’ to change over to the other side during play for testing.

B.

*********** REPLY SEPARATOR ***********

On 25/05/2009 at 7:54 PM Jasta wrote:

Messages mailing list
Messages@forums.vassalengine.org
forums.vassalengine.org/mailman/ … engine.org

Post generated using Mail2Forum (mail2forum.com)

Hmmm… I think I might have missed making them Private Maps. I’ll check when I get home.

Yep private maps fixed it and I found one tiny thing I missed with Black’s deal function.

Version 0.3 is now up and running!