GMT The Ancient World

Anyone play Rise of the Roman Republic or Carthage lately?
Anyone interested in trying? If it will work PBeM… I need to do it where I can relax and look up the rules a lot.
Multiplayer could be neat to if it works for any of the scenarios.

hi,

I’m interested, and PBEM is better for me since I’m living in France 8)

we can play a RRR scenario before kicking Carthage’s Big One, the 1PW

sounds good. at some point I wonder if this game works for multi-player teams?

I have not read the rules yet hardly at all but right off the interception rules are going to require some thought for handling in PBeM. Ideas?

I only just got Carthage. There are some smaller games in the Carthage set, need to look over everything there and in RotRR maybe we can pick something quick and land-combat only to start with.

Here is a run down on the scenario info. Thunderbolt is suggested as being able to play and switch sides and still finish in an evening. THe other complexity 3/4 scenarios are supposed to be suitable for learning the game.

RISE OF THE ROMAN REPUBLIC:
The Samnite Wars (complexity 4, 10 turns)
The First Alexander Invasion (complexity 3, 4 turns, land combat only, 3 players?)
The Eagle Has Landed (complexity 6, 10 turns max, most of the system, ultimate scenario for RotRR)
Thunderbolt (complexity 3, 3 turns, land combat only, unbalanced)

CARTHAGE:
Mercenary War (complexity 3, 5 turns, land combat only, unbalanced)
Agathocles (complexity 5, 5 turns max, but more of the system)
Hiero, Hero or Gyro? (complexity 4, 2 turns, land/naval combat only)
First Punic War (complexity 7, long, the ultimate objective)

ok, we can play Thunderbolt if you will

about handling interception rules in PBEM, neither do I

I’ll check how to handle it later

It will be a good intro to the basics, but almost akin to playing solitaire. I will let you take the Carthaginians and I will take the Romans, unless you prefer the other way around, for the first time thru.

Since this one starts with a Hannibal activation I believe you could start a game and run it at least to the point where a Roman interception was possible or where there was some combat-related decision required by the Romans. Then save and email.