graphics stretch in linux

Thus spake “IrishBouzouki”:

Until this evening, I was using a version of OpenJDK which was slightly
older than yours (1.6.0_0-b09) and did not have the problem you’re having.
A few hours ago, I upgraded to Fedora 10 and now have a version of OpenJDK
which purports to be the same base version (1.6.0_0-b12) as yours, and I
still don’t have the problem you’re having.

I suspect that there are some patches applied by both distributions to
OpenJDK which make our versions different. What I recommend you do depends
on how much you like Ubuntu: Either you should report a bug against OpenJDK
in Ubuntu’s bug tracker (wherever that is) or you should use a distribution
which doesn’t have this problem (e.g., Fedora).

J.

Messages mailing list
Messages@forums.vassalengine.org
forums.vassalengine.org/mailman/ … engine.org

Post generated using Mail2Forum (mail2forum.com)

bug is already reported in launchpad.
bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour … bug/255983

I added a link there to this topic as we have some info from fedora that will prove helpful to them.

there is a workaround, just fyi…
add “export LC_ALL=en_US.ISO-8859-15” in VASSAL.sh right before the line that runs the java module launcher.

apparently this is a locale-related issue, I quote from there…
** IT DEPENDS ON CHARSET **
If i change locale from de_DE.UTF-8 to de_DE.ISO-8859-15 also openjdk-button is centered correct. As stated by others in this thread, border or margin whatever is too large also with ISO-8859-15 coding.

so the locale workaround only fixes the vertical offset, not the extra spacing?

well I tried it and the charset workaround also removes the extra space despite what was initially reported on launchpad.

does the UTF-8 charset cause this on Fedora Joel? Did you try it with UTF-8 or .ISO-8859-15?

But… don’t worry about it right now you have enough on your plate.

Thus spake “IrishBouzouki”:

I use UTF-8.

J.

Messages mailing list
Messages@forums.vassalengine.org
forums.vassalengine.org/mailman/ … engine.org

Post generated using Mail2Forum (mail2forum.com)

okay I think we have done all we can with this one, and then some, as far as VASSAL goes.

It is definately a bug with the ubuntu port of the UTF-8 charset for openjdk6 (really in the jre). seems to apply for both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of ubuntu and openjdk6, and does not apply for openjdk5 or for fedora or for the ISO charset. also applies across current ubuntu distros (ie not specific to gnome or xfce or I imagine KDE). and it is already reported to ubuntu, who seem to favor people reporting bugs on launchpad.

if you made a VASSAL bug for this why don’t we close it as there is nothing further we can do under the VASSAL project for it except to leave the mention and workaround here in case someone else falls into the trap.

thanks for the help Joel.

there is, fyi, a new java 6 out from sun… and one of the changes oddly is related to the utf8 charset, although to a security issue not a rendering issue. so perhaps when this gets ported over to openjdk6 this extra space will no longer be there? possible, but not necessarily. will have to see.