By way of background, these changes to the GS module came about as a result of a Gunslinger role-playing campaign (starting date Jan 1867) that I am playing with a couple of friends. We are now one year into the campaign, and the changes below are based on things we thought made the game easier to play. The changes made, however, are not specific the campaign we are playing.
These changes are based on module version 1.5.2017, with additional changes based upon the excellent changes made by Ian Clarence in his version 1.5.2. I also are far from a Vassal expert, and in fact was a total novice when I began my changes, so some of the earlier changes are likely not as elegant as they should be. Additionally, I lack skills as a digital artist, so some of the graphics, while functional, are not all that pretty or polished.
With that in mind, here are the significant changes between Vassal GS Module v1.5 and the v1.8.4 that I have uploaded (it is awaiting moderation).
- Bonus cards can be deleted (in case you happen to select the wrong one during setup).
- Quiver ammo source added, and ammo counts added to all ammo sources (you can count down the ammo on the source as you reload a weapon).
- Each side of action card now shows the action on reverse side
- Masked view of action cards now shows the character number they are assigned to
- Subtypes of guns (e.g., W44 ’66 vs. w44 ’73, double action version, side-load conversions) now
represented by separate counters; weight class and availability dates added to counters panel.
- B2 and B3 cards now separated by weight class (e.g., B2 medium, B3 heavy)
- LOS tool revised to retain counters on map at about 20% opacity
- H44 ammo changed to 16
- 2nd floor overlays added for maps
- Weapon counters now include ammo/loading type
- Results cards conformed to cards in original board game (there were many differences)
- LeMat pistol shows both primary (cylinder) and secondary (20g shotgun) ammo
- Graphic added to count loading actions that take multiple turns
- Rotatable move/turn marker added to show directions of turns and moves announced but not yet executed. These are specific to each character and are found in a “Character-Specific Markers” section under Counters/Characters. They also will mark Run status at two levels (to keep track of whether the character is eligible to Sprint).
- Character label (which I used to mark character name/number) changed to non-rotating
- Separate aim markers added for each character (marked with character number), and level with AIM but no points added (to mark hexes where aiming has begun but no points have accumulated); can be changed to SHT when a Shoot is announced.
- Property sheets for characters are pre-populated with values from Gunslinger boardgame (but are still changeable by user). These include Fear (from game rules) and Respect (interpolated from the table in the Role-Playing rules).
- Legend Sheet “Hand” wounds are corrected to “Arm”.
- Legend Sheet updated to include skills, turn/segment, next action segment marker, and spot for character names.
- Cards Table updated to include spot for character names.
- Character counters can now mark both Stamina and Delay, and all wounds, Stamina, and Delay can now be tracked on the Legend Sheet. Because of this, both Stamina and Delay can be tracked in either or both of two locations (Character counters and Legend Sheet).
- Many new maps and overlays added. None of these are original to me; and embarrassingly, for some of them I can no longer even identify where I got them. My thanks (and apologies) to those who created these maps.
- Smoke markers can be marked to show removal turn/segment (we play that smoke lasts two full turns, so smoke from a shot fired on Segment 3-Turn 4, lasts until the end of Segment 3-Turn 6.
- Charts Window added with a summary of movement/delay and loss of aim effects; brawling weapons table; striking table; and impact table.