Gunslinger Vlog refuses to save

Howdy Gents,
I’ve run Gunslinger Blind games for 30 years. The last 10 I’ve used a Vassal Assist system where I create individual Vassal logs for each player. I open the master log. I move all the players characters. Then I open the vlog for the individual players and provide them the things only they can see (must be in their LOS).

Done this who knows how many hundreds of times considering 20+ character logs per turn for 50 odd turns each game.

Now suddenly I find I cannot save the vlogs. Oh, it says they’re saved. But when I go checking in the folder where it’s supposed to be … Nothing, and empty desert. I changed to a different computer. Same result. I tried a third computer same same. What is going on?

Thus spake Cundiff:

Howdy Gents,
I’ve run Gunslinger Blind games for 30 years. The last 10 I’ve used a
Vassal Assist system where I create individual Vassal logs for each
player. I open the master log. I move all the players characters.
Then I open the vlog for the individual players and provide them the
things only they can see (must be in their LOS).

Done this who knows how many hundreds of times considering 20+ character
logs per turn for 50 odd turns each game.

Now suddenly I find I cannot save the vlogs. Oh, it says they’re saved.
But when I go checking in the folder where it’s supposed to be …
Nothing, and empty desert. I changed to a different computer. Same
result. I tried a third computer same same. What is going on?

Are you getting any error messages? Have you checked the errorLog?

J.

Related: What version of VASSAL are you currently using, and has that remained unchanged from before the problem started until now?

Howdy,

I’m still running 3.2.17 so that hasn’t changed. No error logs noted. BUT I did find a quirk I hadn’t noticed before. If a player sends a turn in which his character doesn’t move on the board, I have been simply re-saving the log with a different turn number as part of its file name. That always worked. Now it seems I need to “jiggle” the counter on the map a little and then it save the file without problem. Apparently the program doesn’t like saving a file that doesn’t change even if it’s to save it with a slightly different file name. Something on the board has to move even if by but a millimeter.

Odd, but that worked.

Thanks,
Tom

Thus spake Cundiff:

Howdy,

I’m still running 3.2.17 so that hasn’t changed. No error logs noted.
BUT I did find a quirk I hadn’t noticed before. If a player sends a
turn in which his character doesn’t move on the board, I have been
simply re-saving the log with a different turn number as part of its
file name. That always worked. Now it seems I need to “jiggle” the
counter on the map a little and then it save the file without problem.
Apparently the program doesn’t like saving a file that doesn’t change
even if it’s to save it with a slightly different file name. Something
on the board has to move even if by but a millimeter.

Odd, but that worked.

Thanks,
Tom

What does this do in 3.4.8?

J.

If you’re still running 3.2.17, that means you’re relying on the version of Java installed for the whole OS. Did Java get updated around the time you started noticing these issues? Note that 3.2.17 won’t run correctly with Java versions above 8…

Does this mean that modules built with the old vassal engines will have to be updated to continue to run?

I have no idea if Java has updated. I’m sure it has. It’s one of those things that gets done in the background at about 3 AM on my computer and I never know about it. I don’t even know how to tell which Java version I’m running.

Ok, I found it. I’m running Java 8 Update 261. I didn’t even know if I was running a 64 Bit computer until I looked it up via YouTube.

I’ve been hearing bad things about the new Vassal Mods. Lots of bugs, problems. I’ve been clinging onto my old trusty 3.2.17 because I know it works and what I can do with it. Is there a new manual for the updated versions?

As far as I’m aware, all of the bugs introduced in newer versions of VASSAL have been fixed, usually within a few days. Modules built with older versions of VASSAL should still work just fine in the latest version, although if they use certain outdated functions, they may display a warning about “deprecated code” that will need to fixed eventually (after one year). They also all have a recent version of Java bundled with them (unless you’re running Linux), so they don’t need to worry about Java updates breaking things (which I strongly suspect is what has happened to you).

You can install a newer version of VASSAL for testing while keeping your old 3.2.17 still installed by doing a Custom Install (I assume you’re running Windows). I strongly recommend you try the latest version and see if these problems persist.

As far as a new manual goes, the built-in help has been thoroughly updated (most of it was still written for version 3.1 or earlier, previously!), although I don’t think a separately accessible PDF or online manual has been generated yet.

I’ll think about updating. I’m an old … well Luddite would describe it. In a few days I’ll be “another year older and closer to death” as Pink Floyd describes it. Change just isn’t a part of my make up any more.

Thus spake Cundiff:

Does this mean that modules built with the old vassal engines will have
to be updated to continue to run?

It depends on what’s in the module.

There are a few things we’ve fixed since 3.2.17 which were never supposed
to have been the way they were. If your module relied on any of that bad
behavior we removed, you may find your module needs to be updated. This
mostly affects modules which had some very complicated stacks of traits.

Modules with custom drawing code might need to be updated for that code
to work correctly after 3.2.17.

If you don’t have custom drawing code and you weren’t using any complicated
computed expressions in traits, it’s likely your module will work unchanged.
This is what we’ve found for the vast majority of modules.

If you have a module which does require updating, now is the time to do it,
while everyone else is doing the same thing and the memory of what’s
involved is fresh.

J.

Thus spake Cundiff:

Is there a new manual for the updated versions?

The Reference Manual in 3.4 is current. There’s also the 3.4 Release Notes,
which detail the changes and new features in 3.4:

vassalengine.org/mediawiki/i … ease_Notes

J.

WOW, I think I need a PhD just to read it, let alone understand any of it. I’m quickly beginning to feel as if the world no longer makes sense to me and the only ones who will understand its technical aspects are these 14 year old Whiz Kids. I used to be able to open the hood of my car and work on it. Now I don’t even recognize most of the stuff under there.

Thus spake Cundiff:

WOW, I think I need a PhD just to read it, let alone understand any of
it. I’m quickly beginning to feel as if the world no longer makes sense
to me and the only ones who will understand its technical aspects are
these 14 year old Whiz Kids. I used to be able to open the hood of my
car and work on it. Now I don’t even recognize most of the stuff under
there.

Note that you don’t need anything that’s listed as new in the Release
Notes. There’s a good shot that your module will work in 3.4 unmodified.

J.

It seems there is ONE thing that doesn’t work in the Gunslinger Module. For one, the game has a map extension that adds new maps to the game, maps made after the original game’s release. I identify this because the problem we’re going to experience covers both the original module and the maps in the new module. Whenever there is a map overlay that provides a 2nd floor to a building, we’re supposed to be able to right click and the 2nd floor is supposed to go away for a moment so I (as the GM in this case) or any players in a regular pbem “face to face” game can see what is on the floors below. Then hold down on the control button and right click on that specific map panel and a menu returns allowing you to choose to replace the 2nd floor (after you’ve viewed the 1st floor). But this feature has gone away. The 2nd Floor overlay sticks in place and cannot be removed. You cannot see what’s below no matter how many times you bang away on the control and right click buttons.

Mind now that the version of Gunslinger here at Vassal is no longer the “latest and greatest” version. I have one that was designed for me by another designer who was old and told me he didn’t want to be responsible for upkeep on it, so I was free to use it, but he didn’t want it widely published. So I an my group of gunslingers have been using it for some … oh, I don’t know 3 years or so. And I did make an update of my own. I increased the magnification of the maps because the hex numbers were not readable being so small previously. We’re using Gunslinger 1.5.2 Updated for Magnification. Anyone willing to help us out, I’d appreciate that. We’re presently restricted to using maps that have no upper level buildings.