help for newbie

I am trying to play some games solitaire as I no longer have space. Downloaded a couple of games from “The Gamers” - Thunder at the crossroads II" and “In the Quiet Fields II” and “this Hallowed Ground”. Think I get most of the mechanics down, but I see no scenarios for any of these three games (even though “Thunder” says it has some. Downloaded Panzerblitz and it does have some scenarios. Did I do something wrong on the Gamers downloads and are missing scenarios or is their just the basic module and you have to start from scratch?

Also - several of these games have “observer” and “master”. What is the difference?

Thanks for the help.

I’m not familiar with the modules you mentioned so I’ll leave that part of your question for someone else.

As for the other…

Observer is a player side that allows others to join your game online so they can watch and chat but they are not active players.

Master would be a mod developer created player side for the purpose of being able to control all player sides. Usually, in a game, a specific player side will only have access to certain pieces or actions. The Master player side would carry few or no player side restrictions. It’s used mostly for play testing, learning a game, playing a solitaire game, etc. It can also be used if the game has a moderator …something like a Dungeon & Dragons style game that requires a Dungeon Master. Usually, If the game does not require a moderator, then the Master side is normally not used when you’re playing a game online with others.

On Jun 11, 2011, at 11:30 PM, htr2001 wrote:

I am trying to play some games solitaire as I no longer have space. Downloaded a couple of games from “The Gamers” - Thunder at the
crossroads II" and “In the Quiet Fields II” and “this Hallowed Ground”. Think I get most of the mechanics down, but I see no scenarios for any
of these three games (even though “Thunder” says it has some. Downloaded Panzerblitz and it does have some scenarios. Did I do
something wrong on the Gamers downloads and are missing scenarios or is
their just the basic module and you have to start from scratch?

Not all of the modules will have scenarios built for them.

I did see that the ITQF had a separate save file with scenario 5.5 available.

So it looks like you would have to set up the scenarios on your own. IIRC, the CWBS games often allow you some latitude in the actual original setup, so that having a fully ready scenario setup would not be possible. But one could still at least put the units in roughly the right place.

You could, however, help this effort by creating the setups and uploading the saved game files for the starting setups to the Vassal website. That would be a time saver for future players.

Thank you for your responses. i see some more experimenting and testing on my part for the future.