Help needed with Hannibal module

Hi,
so me and my brother (currently half way around the world) were trying to set up a Vassal session and wanted to play Hannibal: Rome vs Carhage. We used the most recent version of the English module (2.0). After syncronizing we were both on the same side (either Rome or Carthage) but I understand that’s ok and what happens whenever you sync. What was weird, however, was that whenever one of us would use the “retire” function in order to switch sides, both of us would switch. There was basically no way to get both os us to play opposing sides. It was our first attempt to use Vassal so we might have overlooked something.
Today I checked by running a session again on my system and on my second notebook. Everything worked fine. So the problem seems related to the configuration we used with my brother.
We both used latest Vassal (3.1.14) and Hannibal module 2.0 (engl). I am on a MacBook Pro. He however was in an internet cafe and had Vassal, the Module and Java Portable (as explained in this post: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3260). There someone recomended to do the following:

begin quote
Ok, back to the original theme. I’ve managed to make VASSAL portable and use it in PortableApps. This is how I made it:

1. I’ve installed the Java Portable (portableapps.com/apps/utilities/ … e_launcher) on my USB stick (which allready contained the PortableApps System).
  2. Then I’ve installed the current release of VASSAL for “other” operating systems.
  3. I’ve wrote a little AutoHotkey Makro to start the Java Portable Launcher and load the vengine.jar, so that I can start VASSAL with one click.
    end quote

We did everything but step 3 since it was not clear what the Marko should look like and also step 3 appears non-essential.

Anyone any ideas?

Hm, you mentioned that after synchronizing, you were “both on the same side.” This isn’t the way synchronizing is supposed to work.

What should happen in most modules is, one player starts the game and picks a side, and then the other guy syncs to him. The other guy should get presented with the ‘Choose Sides’ drop-down…but whatever side the first player picked is excluded.

For example, if you logged in and picked Rome, when your opponent joins your game and synchronizes to you, the game will re-start for him, and would only be allowed to pick Carthage.

Is this what’s happening?

Also, you might also want to make sure you’re using different login names and passwords. Like it says in the User Guide, don’t use a password that other players are also likely to pick. Using the same password as another player can cause issues when it comes to choosing sides.

This sounds like you have both specified the same password in your personal details. Side selection is based on the password, same password, same side.

B.

*********** REPLY SEPARATOR ***********

On 23/09/2010 at 7:42 AM mycenae wrote:

Hm, you mentioned that after synchronizing, you were “both on the same
side.” This isn’t the way synchronizing is supposed to work.

What should happen in most modules is, one player starts the game and
picks a side, and then the other guy syncs to him. The other guy should
get presented with the ‘Choose Sides’ drop-down…but whatever side the
first player picked is excluded.

For example, if you logged in and picked Rome, when your opponent joins
your game and synchronizes to you, the game will re-start for him, and
would only be allowed to pick Carthage.

Is this what’s happening?

Also, you might also want to make sure you’re using different login
names and passwords. Like it says in the User Guide, don’t use a
password that other players are also likely to pick. Using the same
password as another player can cause issues when it comes to choosing
sides.

Ok, this was resolved and in a rather funny way. Accidentally, both me and my brother chose the identical password when starting our session. Thus the syncing problem. Solved now.

Edit: Re: swampwallaby
thx for getting this one right. I actually figured it out myself yesterday when we tried again and only so because there is this one word both of us often use for not-so-important passwords. :slight_smile:
At least we had a good laugh when the suspicion crept in and eventually turned out to be correct.
Thanks everyone for helping out here.