Hex Numbers

I’m developing a new module using a scanned map. The scan is very good but there is a little distortion so that if I show VASSAL’s hex grid, the hex grid’s lines don’t quite match the map’s hex lines over the whole map.

I don’t need to use VASSAL’s hex grid but I do want to use VASSAL’s hex numbering system but I can’t get the hex numbers to show without the hex grid showing.

Any one know if I’m missing something or if there is a work around?

Thanks.

Jim

It sounds like you would have to use the Irregular Grid feature and set up each point individually. It’s a pain and quite time consuming but I don’t see any other solution to your problem accept to adjust the scan to insure that all the grid point are equidistant from each other.

I personally use an Irregular Grid in TBK as I can use a code in the name of each point to establish various map areas. But it took a good 3 hours to do for my 3 maps.

Perhaps, that could be a new feature for Vassal. The designer sets a hex grid and then has the ability to remove the grid but leave the grid numbers. They could then unlock the region points and move/rename them as necessary. It certainly would have saved about an hour of my time.

On 1/06/2009 at 5:11 AM jimpyle wrote:

There is already an RFE (1637018) in to allow Grid numbering to display independently of the Grid lines.

Looking at it, I think the answer is to:

a) Make Grid Drawing respect setting the color to Nil to turn off grid drawing

and

b) Make the default grid color Black instead of Nil.

The current setup is crazy where the default grid color is nil, but it is automatically over-ridden to Black to force the grid to draw.

B.

Messages mailing list
Messages@forums.vassalengine.org
forums.vassalengine.org/mailman/ … engine.org

Post generated using Mail2Forum (mail2forum.com)

There is a box in the Hex Grid edit screen that can be checked or unchecked to show the hex grid. There is also a box in the Hex Number edit screen that can be checked or unchecked to show the hex numbers. Just uncheck the “Show Hex Grid” and check the “Show Hex numbers” and only the numbers should display. Its worked for me.

Thought I was going mad for a moment!

Yes, it does work this way for a Grid attached directly to a Board, but does not work for a grid attached to a Zone. Basically it is a bug in the Zone grid display. I’m looking into it now.

B.

Messages mailing list

On Jun 1, 2009, at 3:27 PM, Brent Easton wrote:

Will changing this break the existing modules where no grid color is
specified? Wouldn’t they end up with a nil in the grid color property
when they load?

Messages mailing list

By ‘default grid color’, I meant that when you add a new Hex or Rectangular grid to a board or zone, and then click on the ‘Show grid’ box, the color will default to Black instead of nil. It will not change the current color set in any existing grid.

There are several inconsistencies/bugs that need clearing up:

1. When you say you want to show the grid, it defaults to a color that will not (in theory) display. Doesn’t make sense - the default display color should be black.

2. Currently, you cannot set the HexGrid color to nil at all, it automatically resets to black. The RectangularGrid is different, it allows the color to be set to nil, but automatically overrides it to draw as black. This is a bug, you should be able to set a nil color for either and have it stick, and setting the color to nil should cause the grid to not display.

3. If you turn off grid display, but leave grid numbering display on, the grid numbering displays if it is defined in a Board, but does not display if it is defined in a Zone. This is bug, the numbering should display whether or not the grid is displayed.

B.

Messages mailing list

Yeah, I used a Zone so I can have a border around the map.

Thanks for all the answers!

Jim

Thus spake “Brent Easton”:

This might affect how you handle these: The new ColorEditor will have an
opacity slider, so it won’t require cancelling out of the color picker to
get a fully-transparent color. This means that we should not ever let the
color be “nil” once we switch.

J.

Messages mailing list

Does that mean you have extended the way colors are being stored? Currently, they only have the 3 RGB components stored as 3 comma delimited integers with no allowance for transparency.

B.

Messages mailing list

Thus spake “Brent Easton”:

I’m saying that I intend to, yes. Right now, what you have to do to get a
transparent color is ridiculous.

J.

Messages mailing list

Thus spake Joel Uckelman:

I should qualify what I said about ColorEditor: There are a few places
where we shouldn’t permit translucency, e.g., in the background colors set
for Maps. So there will be a ColorEditor for opaque colors, and an
AlphaColorEditor or something like that, for everything else.

J.

Messages mailing list