Hit Records/Plotting Sheets/Scratch Pads

I would love to see a feature that would allow one to draw and write with mouse on scanned hit records. The idea is my my head. I just can’t get it out succinctly. :unamused:

Thus spake “jw62”:

Is this what you want?

sourceforge.net/tracker/index.ph … tid=594234

J.

Messages mailing list
Messages@forums.vassalengine.org
forums.vassalengine.org/mailman/ … engine.org

Post generated using Mail2Forum (mail2forum.com)

Hey there! :wink:

Its not just a white board feature and does not pertain to the map only, although it can be as well.

Vassal has a property sheet trait that can be used to record damage sustained by individual units or whatever else can be thought of.

The second alternative is to scan a record sheet, then make 100s of extra images that are used as layers in order to mimic a hit record–checks, X’s, slashes, text, and so on.

Games like Bismarck, Midway, Starship Troopers use record sheets for you to write on. Luftwaffe uses this also as well as a plotting map for planned sorties.

The trouble with both of these options is the amount of editing required to pull it off in a module. I just think somehow giving Vassal the ability to write and draw on such records/maps is far simpler.

Thus spake “jw62”:

Something like this would be useful for the Gamers’ Civil War Brigade
Series. Every brigade has a row of boxes indicating its strength.
Stragglers are marked with slashes and casualties are Xed.

J.

Messages mailing list

A picture is worth a thousand words and lines of code.

The attached example might better explain what I am talking about.

#1 depicts a portion of the Bismarck hit record that uses layers. They are crisp and uniform.

#2 depicts the same portion, but in freehand style with the mouse.

Number two is what I am talking about.[/img]

Thus spake “jw62”:

I know. What you want is like a Telestrator used in broadcasts of American
football. That’s what I was intending the whiteboard component to be like.

J.

Messages mailing list

Sweet! Thank you!

In fact, you would not need many tools. I figure having the ability to change line size, color (black, white, red, green, blue, yellow), and the ability to erase such scribblings at any time and point is all that would be needed. Its like working on an image in a paint program that uses a background and a single layer.

Looking at Vassal from a New Module POV, a record window could be added in the same manner as a Main Map [Map Window], or Add Private Window. You might call it Record Sheet [Map Window]. This Record Map can still have all the options available to a Main Map, but there will be an inherent menu bar with line drawing tools available.

Thus spake “jw62”:

The Whiteboard component is already started—has been for quite some
time—and can be added to anything which is a Map or Chart. No need
for a specialized kind of Map.

J.

Messages mailing list

It is something rather specialized. Maps are designed to accept pieces and markers. Charts just stare back at you. Being able to write freehand on such things is something else.