Hotkey report

This is a request for the editor, more than actual gameplay. It would be useful to be able to produce a short summary of the various hotkeys used in a module. It is currently quite easy to assign the same hotkeys to wildly different functions by mistake.

Depending on the report format, perhaps the report could even be published for players to use. The module designer might attach it to the help menu as a reference. In any event, the designer could use the report as the basis for such a hotkey reference.

The main reason this would be handy, in my opinion, is that VASSAL uses keystrokes as internal triggers, even if the user is never expected to use those keystrokes directly. So I think this need will go away when when we finish the feature that allows a module editor to specify internal triggers using names for logical keystrokes.

rk

Post generated using Mail2Forum (mail2forum.com)

It will still be valid I think. I discussed this with Brent awhile back. Even with names being used instead of keystrokes, it will still be valuable for the designer to see a sort of “map” or chart of sorts showing where things link to with whatever keystroke and/or named command (and possibly related properties) especially in larger modules with deep prototyping and trait embedding.

Modules are continually getting more complex and will probably continue to do so as features get added and developers learn more tricks. The value of a tool like this can be immense in troubleshooting

Tim

From: messages-bounces@forums.vassalengine.org [mailto:messages-bounces@forums.vassalengine.org] On Behalf Of Rodney Kinney
Sent: Tuesday, February 24, 2009 9:00 PM
To: VASSAL Engine Forums Mailing List
Subject: Re: [Feature Requests]Hotkey report

The main reason this would be handy, in my opinion, is that VASSAL uses keystrokes as internal triggers, even if the user is never expected to use those keystrokes directly. So I think this need will go away when when we finish the feature that allows a module editor to specify internal triggers using names for logical keystrokes.

rk

Post generated using Mail2Forum (mail2forum.com)

Yes, that could be a nice feature… by now I got a TXT where I put the key commands I use, what they do and with which pieces and always try to work with a very structurated fashion… In the Dungeon Twister module (have I talked about it before? :stuck_out_tongue: ) I use A LOT of key commands… every piece uses two comands for every possible position on the mini-board tile to be allowed to rotate with the map below… thus I have a grid of the 25 positions like this in keystrokes:

q w e r t
a s d f g
z x c v b
t y u i o
g h j k l

And the key commands are CTRL+SHIFT+key to rotate anticlockwise and ALT+SHIFT+key to rotate clockwise… so many keys and so complex I finally do it edditing the XML in a wordpad instead of using the program… and yet I commited some typing errors…

So… a Key Map Report (in excel for example) will be a good thing to be seen. :slight_smile: