How Can I Add Myself as Player on a Module Page

Also, how can the listed playes be emailed, as was possible on the old website?

Just click their name to E-mail them. Keep in mind that you have to be logged into the wiki to E-mail them …otherwise, their names will be listed but they won’t link to an E-mail address.

To add your name to the list, click on the Edit link on the right side of the “Players” header. You will only be able to do this if you are logged in. There will usually already be a list of players. Copy paste the last line, that looks like this:

• {{email|someone1@somewhere.com|username1}}
  • {{email|someone2@somewhere.com|username2}}
  • {{email|someone3@somewhere.com|username3}}
    And fill in your own details on the pasted line, such as:
  • {{email|designer1812@gmail.com|designer1812}}
    And submit the changes.

I would like to say that this is the biggest weak point in the wiki system as opposed to the old one. Adding email addresses to module pages isn’t that hard, but it’s a lot less intuitive than the old version, and probably beyond the ken of the less computer-savvy.

The version we have now is more of a ‘power user’ process (by comparison). Of course, I’m not sure there’s really a way around that with a wiki. :frowning:

One problem I do have, that I think is solvable: With the current method, if you change your email address you have to go back to each page and fix your entry. And hope you remember them all. It seems like I should be able to create a template and host it in my private namespace. Have it predefined to fill in my name and email address, pop that into the pages, and then all I have to do to change email addresses is change it in my private template.

All of which tells me that there should be a better way to handle all of this, but it needs someone who knows their way around MediaWiki stuff, and has spare time… :stuck_out_tongue:

Yes. Feel free to create your own template if you want. I would say 99% of the
users do not create their own namespace or are even aware of them and how to use
them. Yours isn’t even in existance yet :slight_smile:

This is really low priority for me right now because Im still cleaning stuff
from the site transfer while maintaining at the same time, but I do have a few
changes in mind to enact eventually (Joel came up with a solution over
disambiguation btw thats simpler and makes sense but its probably going to need
a script run over all pages or I can do it manually).

Another thing you might do if you dont want to mess with templates is to just
put links to all modules in your user namespace which is simpler although a lot
more editing would be needed if ever your email address were to change, but at
least you would know where to go to change your email address

To: messages@vassalengine.org
Sent: Wed, January 26, 2011 3:05:53 PM
Subject: [messages] [Module General Discussion] Re: How Can I Add Myself as
Player on a Module Page

I would like to say that this is the biggest weak point in the wiki
system as opposed to the old one. Adding email addresses to module pages
isn’t that hard, but it’s a lot less intuitive than the old version,
and probably beyond the ken of the less computer-savvy.

The version we have now is more of a ‘power user’ process (by
comparison). Of course, I’m not sure there’s really a way around that
with a wiki. :frowning:

One problem I do have, that I think is solvable: With the current
method, if you change your email address you have to go back to each
page and fix your entry. And hope you remember them all. It seems like I
should be able to create a template and host it in my private namespace.
Have it predefined to fill in my name and email address, pop that into
the pages, and then all I have to do to change email addresses is change
it in my private template.

All of which tells me that there should be a better way to handle all
of this, but it needs someone who knows their way around MediaWiki
stuff, and has spare time… :stuck_out_tongue:

Read this topic online here:
https://forum.vassalengine.org/t/how-can-i-add-myself-as-player-on-a-module-page/3594/4

As I said, the current method is beyond the web-savvyness of most of the users. (Okay, I said it by implication, but…)

I have worked on Wikipedia (and a Wikia or two), so at least I know I have a namespace, and some idea of what I can do with it. Templates are a little beyond my normal comfort level, but something this simple is something I should be able to figure out.

I haven’t really had any thoughts towards what to do with my namespace. Until now.

Would there be a problem if I made my proposed template so that it could link to my Wiki User page as well as generate an email link? I’m thinking it’d be nice to point my maintainer and contributor tags towards that page so there’s an easy way to see what all I’ve worked on.

As an example based on what you are saying, see this page and follow the
link by the maintainer :slight_smile: No reason you can’t do the same or similar

vassalengine.org/wiki/Module … s_Cauldron

-----Original Message-----
[mailto:messages-bounces@vassalengine.org] On Behalf Of Rindis
Sent: Wednesday, January 26, 2011 5:00 PM
To: messages@vassalengine.org
Subject: [messages] [Module General Discussion] Re: How Can I Add Myself
asPlayer on a Module Page

As I said, the current method is beyond the web-savvyness of most of the
users. (Okay, I said it by implication, but…)

I have worked on Wikipedia (and a Wikia or two), so at least I know I
have a namespace, and some idea of what I can do with it. Templates
are a little beyond my normal comfort level, but something this simple
is something I should be able to figure out.

I haven’t really had any thoughts towards what to do with my
namespace. Until now.

Would there be a problem if I made my proposed template so that it could
link to my Wiki User page as well as generate an email link? I’m
thinking it’d be nice to point my maintainer and contributor tags
towards that page so there’s an easy way to see what all I’ve worked on.

Read this topic online here:
https://forum.vassalengine.org/t/how-can-i-add-myself-as-player-on-a-module-page/3594/6

I should add if you can do it as a template or want to play around with the idea feel free.

It may be a good idea to use an obsolete module page you can destroy / mess up trying to get it to work with before putting it on one of your live pages (any of those listed in link below with Module:xxxxxx page title will do)

vassalengine.org/mediawiki/i … y:DeleteMe

Wasn’t that hard. At least in a non-generic version. :slight_smile: Wiki’s documentation makes a jump that I wasn’t following though. Shame on them. :stuck_out_tongue:

Though something’s not quite right. The formatting inside the “Players” div is acting odd.
vassalengine.org/wiki/Module … sa:_Crimea

Okay, I still don’t understand why it’s having a problem. But, looking at the actual code of the rendered page, what is going on is that the tags are coming before the contents of the template.

Ah ha, fixed. Finally noticed that my line in the page source was surrounded by

tags. That was causing the list to break, and causing the rest of it.

The paragraph tag was being generated by the fact that the main part of the template was not the first line of the page. I had tags around my documentation (which I put first). However, then I newlined after the closing tag and put the template body on the next line. That caused the paragraph break.

So, recommended practice: put template code first, then the documentation.

Why not just put links to your user namespace on the module pages instead of your e-mail address, and then only put your e-mail address on your user namespace (assuming it can still be hidden if you’re not logged in)? You’d only have one place to keep track of then.

It can be done that way. But it does add an extra step for a person looking for opponents. I figure to make that step as easy possible. I just wish it was a little easier to add the email address to the module page. It’s the type of thing that needs to be made easy so the non-technical users can do it.

Back on the ‘store the email address once’ front: You can associate an email address with your account. Wiki templates can access certain variables that go outside pure page contents (example: #ifanon tests whether the user is logged in). If such a variable could be done to “return the email address associated with the given account name” it would be simple to create a template that links the email address of a given user if the viewer of the page is logged in.

In the meantime, here’s how to use my current solution:

1. Go to your wiki user page (vassalengine.org/wiki/User:[name]), there is a link to it in the left nav if you’re in the wiki.
  2. Add “/Email” to the end of that URL.
  3. Click on ‘edit this page’.
  4. Paste in the string you normally use for the email template on a module page (just the template, not the asterisk - ‘{{email|Joe@example.com|Joe}}’), and save page.
  5. On module pages, just give the name of your template page instead of the full email template call. {{User:[name]/Email}}
  6. If your email address ever changes, just edit your ‘/Email’ page