How do I access a piece on a lower layer?

The module I’m building has units that always sit on top of depth markers when they are in the same hex. So I defined a unit layer and a depth layer causing the depth marker to always appear under the unit.

My question is how do you select the lower layered unit for manipulation, in this case the depth marker? Since they are on different layers the unit and depth marker don’t stack. Right now the only way I can get access to the depth marker is to move the unit to an adjacent hex first, manipulate the depth marker, then move the unit back to the original hex. This is a bit of a pain plus the extraneous movement of the unit is recorded in the log.

Right click Game Piece Layer - you can add toolbar buttons here to enable
GPL manipulation

Post generated using Mail2Forum (mail2forum.com)

Thanks Tim, another question now.

I’ve set it up to rotate layer order down. Clicking the button does rotate the layers but there seems to be three layers when I have only defined two.

I have a units and depth layer. Click the button and depth comes to the top, a second click and unit comes to the top, a third click and nothing seems to happen, a fourth click and depth comes to the top, and so on.

What causes the third “no effect” to occur?

Edit: I have “Skip layers with no counters” checked.

There is a post somewhere - quite old, where Brent talks about the GPL
behavior w/r/t layer rotation, but I can’t find it.
He’ll have to explain it again unless you find it :slight_smile:

When you create additional Game Piece Layers, you are just creating additional Layers under the default ‘top’ layer. So if you create 2 layers A & B, you now have 3 layers in total :- A, B and default.

Rotating the Layers rotates through all 3 layers, even if there are no pieces on a given layer.

There is already an RFE in to add an option to the GPL controls to ‘Skip empty layers’. Thhis has not been done yet.

In the meantime, the solution is to use only one additional GamePiece Layer and use the default top layer for the other.

B.

*********** REPLY SEPARATOR ***********

On 20/02/2010 at 5:05 PM Tim McCarron wrote:

[quote]
There is a post somewhere - quite old, where Brent talks about the GPL
behavior w/r/t layer rotation, but I can’t find it.
He’ll have to explain it again unless you find it :slight_smile:

That makes sense. Thanks Brent.