How to create a private vassal web server?

There are many references in the code to “vassalengine.org/util” things. But, I haven’t seen anything in the repo that provides instructions or files for building that server. (We need to build a vassal server that will operate completely off the public internet.)

Are there instructions that I’ve missed for setting up the vassal web server?

Not sure myself but I think you’re looking for VASSAL.chat.node.Server, it has a main() Method, takes a “URL” and “port” parameter. Also read the Javadoc on VASSAL.chat.node.AsynchronousServerNode.

Right, but I need to build the server that the vassal chat talks to. We will not be able to reach vassalengine.org, so we need to create at least a Jabber chat server. But, there’s a whole web server infrastructure that I need to recreate.

The Server class looks like it IS the Jabber chat server. The one that you need. Opens a server connection on port 5050 and listens for requests. There are some other servers as well like VASSAL.chat.HttpMessageServer. I think the code for all the servers that you need is in the regular vassal codebase, you just need to find out how to use it and run it on your own IP address or domain instead of the hardcoded vassalengine.org addresses.

Maybe someone who knows exactly how the infrastructure is laid out can explain, I’m just deducing it from looking at the code.

I have an idea for a neat little PR though, externalize the hardcoded addresses into a properties file and have the code read them at runtime.

Thus spake pixelpshr:

There are many references in the code to “vassalengine.org/util” things.
But, I haven’t seen anything in the repo that provides instructions or
files for building that server. (We need to build a vassal server that
will operate completely off the public internet.)

Are there instructions that I’ve missed for setting up the vassal web
server?

There are not.

It’s a thing I could provide information about, but it’s also a thing which
could turn into a huge time sink for me when I have other tasks to tend
to… so before I commit, I need some kind of reassurance that either (a)
it won’t become that, or (b) if it does, then my time will be repaid in
some way. Understand that you’re asking for a fairly substantial favor here.

J.