How to disable auto-sync ?

This new feature in 3.2.2 is really annoying. It’s making it impossible for me to keep a logfile of my game, since if I disconnect once, logging back into my room forces me to sync to another player and that discards my saved game. Is there a way to disable this ?

(also, not sure if it’s because of the new server, but I’ve been getting disconnected a LOT more after the update… )

Thus spake whats82:

This new feature in 3.2.2 is really annoying. It’s making it impossible
for me to keep a logfile of my game, since if I disconnect once, logging
back into my room forces me to sync to another player and that discards
my saved game. Is there a way to disable this ?

Autosync is not new in 3.2.2. It was new in 3.2.0. (We don’t generally
add features in releases which are not x.y.0.)

Brent, what do you think about this? I hadn’t realized there would be
an interaction with logging.

(also, not sure if it’s because of the new server, but I’ve been getting
disconnected a LOT more after the update… )

I don’t follow. We don’t have a new server.

J.

I guess I haven’t updated vassal engine in a while, might have been using 3.1.x. Only recently in a game where I could not label or modify my pieces did it force me to update.

Much thanks.

No, it is not possible to disable this.

When you disconnect from a room and then reconnect to it, there is no way for Vassal to tell if there have been any changes made while you where disconnected. Therefore you are required to Synch with the current owner of the room to ensure you have the latest copy of the game state. The first thing a Sync does is close any current game you already have open, which also forces you to close any log file you have open. You can start a new logfile from there on.

Brent.

But that also leads to the issue where when I used to be the room owner, when I disconnect a ‘ghost’ version of me stays at the top of the room list, and is the one that my client tries to sync to automatically, which leads to a lot of waiting and unable to sync to anyone else.

Please allow this feature to be an option in the next version then. Most of the time I’d rather do my sync manually to avoid the two situations mentioned above. I don’t know of a way to ‘continue’ my previous log file, so if I have to make 4-5 log files for a single game that really makes it a moot point. Thanks.

Instead of joining the previous room start a new room and tell the other player(s) to connect to your new room. They will sync to your open logfile.

That’s one way around it, but I’d still rather have the option to choose when and who to sync to when I enter a room. There are time when I enter a room and the top name is a disconnected ghost and that gets the sync process stuck as well. Or for when I disconnect several times in one game, it’s easier to go into the same room and tell everyone else to resync to me than to open a new room and move everyone. (also, is it new in this version that ‘invite’ function is removed ?)

You only get the invite option if you are the owner of a locked room.

Perhaps the solution is to have a preference ‘Auto-sync on entering a new room’ that will default to Yes. If you join a room with auto-sync off, you get a warning message in a pop-up.

There is another issue here which is how to cope with the situation where the owner of a room has disconnected from the network, but has not cleanly logged out of the Vassal server and relinquished ownership of the room. The code supports the situation where the room owner cleanly logs out by promoting the next in line to be the owner.

At the moment, the way out of this is for one of the remaining players to start a new room and for everyone then to move over to the new room. Perhaps this is sufficient?

I have seen solutions in online games where any player can invoke a ‘Kick player X’ vote that if everyone agrees, player X is kicked from the game (room), but this can become very complex. (e.g. what if 2 players are ghost players).

Any other thoughts?

Brent, your last post sounds good to me, but I am one of those that would immediately turn off auto-sync.

Keith

That’s fine, as long as you are aware that it leaves you open to your game and logs being corrupted (in the sense of different players in the same room seeing different things) unless you are very careful about managing the resynchronisations.

Thanks for the responses.

Been playing a few more months and the trying solution to migrate to a different room, it seems to be insufficient. This mainly is because hiccup-y internet causes somewhat frequent disconnections. I’m not sure why vassal is so sensitive, it seems if it miss a very small amount of packets it will disconnect, those are times when I can immediately reconnect and sync with no delay, but it may happen 3~4 times within the hour, and having to move everyone in the room so I can continue logging is very troublesome. (the change such that a room has to be locked to send invite also feels negative to me)

The other situation is if the internet is sluggish, unresponsive. One way I used to test if I disconnected was to change room, which would immediately boot me off if I was disconnected a while ago. Now I can’t do that either because of the sync.

The 3rd one is when vassal server hiccups and boots off a bunch of people. So I relog, goes into the room and lose my current game screen because it is trying to sync to a ghost. My opponent comes in and tries to sync to the same ghost and loses his game. We end up both losing our game.

Please please please, disable this feature or allow us to disable it. It’s dramatically worsened my experience with vassal gaming.

(I have never had a corrupted log file with previous manual re-sync and as of now that does not concern me at all)

Seconded. Auto-synch is a minefield.