I can not save games

I recently installed 3.4.8 and since them I can not save games. I have tried different modules and folders, but I always get the same same error message: Unable to write file. Vassal was unable to write the file (folder)

What operating system?

Windows

Post an errorLog from a run where you’ve tried and failed to save.

. ibb.co/sHFgnGX

Please paste in the contents of the errorLog. I can’t read it from a photo of your screen, as that doesn’t display all of it.

java.nio.file.NoSuchFileException: C:\Users\Admin\AppData\Local\Temp\vassal_13321564024629546462\savedGame_11236682142133526861
at java.base/sun.nio.fs.WindowsException.translateToIOException(WindowsException.java:85)
at java.base/sun.nio.fs.WindowsException.rethrowAsIOException(WindowsException.java:103)
at java.base/sun.nio.fs.WindowsException.rethrowAsIOException(WindowsException.java:108)
at java.base/sun.nio.fs.WindowsFileSystemProvider.newByteChannel(WindowsFileSystemProvider.java:235)
at java.base/java.nio.file.Files.newByteChannel(Files.java:375)
at java.base/java.nio.file.Files.createFile(Files.java:652)
at java.base/java.nio.file.TempFileHelper.create(TempFileHelper.java:137)
at java.base/java.nio.file.TempFileHelper.createTempFile(TempFileHelper.java:160)
at java.base/java.nio.file.Files.createTempFile(Files.java:872)
at VASSAL.tools.io.ZipArchive.makeTempFileFor(ZipArchive.java:410)
at VASSAL.tools.io.ZipArchive.getOutputStream(ZipArchive.java:269)
at VASSAL.tools.io.ZipArchive.getOutputStream(ZipArchive.java:241)
at VASSAL.build.module.GameState.saveGame(GameState.java:761)
at VASSAL.build.module.GameState.saveGameAs(GameState.java:553)
at VASSAL.build.module.GameState.saveGame(GameState.java:535)
at VASSAL.build.module.GameState$2.actionPerformed(GameState.java:139)
at java.desktop/javax.swing.AbstractButton.fireActionPerformed(AbstractButton.java:1967)
at java.desktop/javax.swing.AbstractButton$Handler.actionPerformed(AbstractButton.java:2308)
at java.desktop/javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.fireActionPerformed(DefaultButtonModel.java:405)
at java.desktop/javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.setPressed(DefaultButtonModel.java:262)
at java.desktop/javax.swing.AbstractButton.doClick(AbstractButton.java:369)
at java.desktop/javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicMenuItemUI.doClick(BasicMenuItemUI.java:1012)
at java.desktop/javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicMenuItemUI$Handler.mouseReleased(BasicMenuItemUI.java:1056)
at java.desktop/java.awt.Component.processMouseEvent(Component.java:6614)
at java.desktop/javax.swing.JComponent.processMouseEvent(JComponent.java:3342)
at java.desktop/java.awt.Component.processEvent(Component.java:6379)
at java.desktop/java.awt.Container.processEvent(Container.java:2263)
at java.desktop/java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Component.java:4990)
at java.desktop/java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Container.java:2321)
at java.desktop/java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Component.java:4822)
at java.desktop/java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.retargetMouseEvent(Container.java:4919)
at java.desktop/java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.processMouseEvent(Container.java:4548)
at java.desktop/java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.dispatchEvent(Container.java:4489)
at java.desktop/java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Container.java:2307)
at java.desktop/java.awt.Window.dispatchEventImpl(Window.java:2769)
at java.desktop/java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Component.java:4822)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(EventQueue.java:772)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue$4.run(EventQueue.java:721)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue$4.run(EventQueue.java:715)
at java.base/java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(AccessController.java:391)
at java.base/java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(ProtectionDomain.java:85)
at java.base/java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(ProtectionDomain.java:95)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue$5.run(EventQueue.java:745)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue$5.run(EventQueue.java:743)
at java.base/java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(AccessController.java:391)
at java.base/java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(ProtectionDomain.java:85)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:742)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(EventDispatchThread.java:203)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(EventDispatchThread.java:124)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:113)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:109)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:101)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:90)
Suppressed: java.nio.file.NoSuchFileException: C:\Users\Admin\AppData\Local\Temp\vassal_13321564024629546462\hf_11563356049335843408.vsav
at java.base/sun.nio.fs.WindowsException.translateToIOException(WindowsException.java:85)
at java.base/sun.nio.fs.WindowsException.rethrowAsIOException(WindowsException.java:103)
at java.base/sun.nio.fs.WindowsException.rethrowAsIOException(WindowsException.java:108)
at java.base/sun.nio.fs.WindowsFileSystemProvider.newByteChannel(WindowsFileSystemProvider.java:235)
at java.base/java.nio.file.Files.newByteChannel(Files.java:375)
at java.base/java.nio.file.Files.createFile(Files.java:652)
at java.base/java.nio.file.TempFileHelper.create(TempFileHelper.java:137)
at java.base/java.nio.file.TempFileHelper.createTempFile(TempFileHelper.java:160)
at java.base/java.nio.file.Files.createTempFile(Files.java:872)
at VASSAL.tools.io.ZipArchive.makeTempFileFor(ZipArchive.java:410)
at VASSAL.tools.io.ZipArchive.writeToDisk(ZipArchive.java:497)
at VASSAL.tools.io.ZipArchive.close(ZipArchive.java:387)
at VASSAL.build.module.GameState.saveGame(GameState.java:760)
… 40 more

Does C:\Users\Admin\AppData\Local\Temp\vassal_13321564024629546462 exist?

I can’t see it
Admin folder does, but Appdata not

Sorry, I realized Appdata was hidden. The folders exist but the file doesn’t

That’s your problem. The directory your system is reporting as the appropriate directory for temporary files doesn’t exist. Create C:\Users\Admin\AppData\Local\Temp and I expect it will work.

Also, it’s not recommended to run apps as admin on Windows normally.

I realized vassal_13321564024629546462 was a folder and missing. I manually created it and can now save. Thanks a lot for your help
:smiley:

But that folder is supposed to be created by VASSAL. Something is not right if it’s missing. What you posted was not the complete errorLog, btw. You can get the complete errorLog from the Module Manager under Help > Error Log. If this happens again, please post that.