Ideas about how to improve Vassal performance on old machine

Hi,

I’ve got a pretty old computer, with an AMD 2.07 Ghz processor and only 512 MB of RAM. My video card is a Saphire Radeon Pro 9600 Atlantis. I’m not sure how much memory it has, but maybe 256 MB? Not a lot I’m sure. The video driver is updated. When I run Vassal, it bogs my old system down quite a bit. It’s not fatal, but I wonder if I can do some things to speed it up?

What I see when I open a module is that my available RAM plummets. So, I figure adding memory is a good and reasonably cheap idea. I wonder though, with Vassal, does the video card have lot to do with performance? In other words, will adding RAM but having the same video card leave me in the same boat?

Other than that (and buying a new computer, which won’t happen too soon), are there any settings I can tweak to have it run any faster? I use Windows XP Home edition, and have just downloaded version 3.1.5 of Vassal itself. I seem to have the same problem with all the modules I open, but some (Through the Ages) seem to be a little slower than others (Carcassone: The Castle).

Thanks for any help,

Chris

I run VASSAL beautifully on a laptop that has 2 gigs of RAM but an integrated video card. Videocards generally do the 3D heavy lifting, of which VASSAL has none.

By comparison, ZunTzu runs a whole lot less well on the same laptop, due to its fancy 3d dicerolling graphics. :unamused:

Chris,

Adding additional RAM to your machine will make a huge difference with the same Video card. Even if you can only get another 512Mb in, you will get much improvement. 512Mb is really only enough to run Windows XP by itself.

B.

Messages mailing list
Messages@forums.vassalengine.org
forums.vassalengine.org/mailman/ … engine.org

Post generated using Mail2Forum (mail2forum.com)

Thanks for both of your replies. I’ll get more RAM and see how that goes, I expect it will keep me in the game until I can get another computer. Thanks for the feedback about ZunTzu as well, now I know why even with an old computer it runs better than Vassal on my machine. The problem is, Vassal is much better than Zun Tzu.

Chris

Thus spake “fatgreta”:

When we switch over to JOGL for doing our grpahics, at that point the
memory usage characteristics will change, maybe rather dramatically.
Right now we make no explicit use of video RAM, but soon we will, and
that should reduce our consumption of system RAM.

J.

Messages mailing list

What version of VASSAL is that penciled-in for?

When we switch over to JOGL for doing our grpahics, at that point the
memory usage characteristics will change, maybe rather dramatically.
Right now we make no explicit use of video RAM, but soon we will, and
that should reduce our consumption of system RAM.

J.

Messages mailing list

[/quote]

Does that mean I’ll start to have trouble running Vassal with this old video card? Any idea how soon that’s going to happen?

Thanks again,

Chris

Thus spake “Shad”:

3.2, tentatively, but only if we don’t encounter a lot of problems with it.

J.

Messages mailing list