If it sonuds too good to be true...

The it probably is. I was so happy when I first found out about Vassal. I used it for several days and started to really get into it.

However, now that I’m doing slightly complex things like map editing, extension editing, and creating my own units and tiles, I find that this is probably the most bug-ridden program I have EVER used.

I spent HOURS working on developing a game with my own custom map and pieces, and now, if I try to load the saved game file, I get a “NoSuchElementException”. No matter what I try, I can’t open that file, making all those hours of work wasted.

I’ve narrowed it down to the custom map I created, as my other saved games load ok. When I made my custom map, I just saved a copy of the extension file with the map I wanted to edit in it, and then used the “Save Map as PNG” fuction to save a copy. I edited the map, resaved as PNG, changed the image location in the extension file, and it looked fine. However, when I start a new game using the map, I gut all sorts of errors, including a “NullPointer” error, which makes no sense since all I did was change the image. However, it still lets me open the game and work as normal.

Then I have to restart my computer in order to delete all oft he annoying auto-zips that the program created int he extension file, thereby adding duplicate tabs to the mod any time I run it.

Plus, anytime I try to save a file, either it does nothing when I select “Save As…” or I get an error when it tries to save saying it can’t overwrite and it creates ANOTHER backup zip.

Is there anyway to recover the file that it won’t let me open? Is there anyway to use my custom map without a hundred errors?

Hi Aubaine,

*********** REPLY SEPARATOR ***********

On 20/11/2008 at 6:24 PM aubaine wrote:

As one of the developers, I am deeply offended by your attitude.

What version of Vassal are you using? This sounds like one of the bugs that was solved very recently. Have you sent in a bug report? Do you have a copy of the Error log to send in? Have you looked at one single posting on the forum that describes the information you should be providing with a request for support?

Yes, there certainly is if you’d like to get down off your high horse and enter into a rational dialog about your problems.

Since you have supplied NO information whatsoever to assist diagnose your problem, it is extremely difficult to diagnose your problem.

You may want to see if you can open your module using the latest beta version of Vassal (beta5). If that doesn’t work, the latest daily build might do it.

B.

Messages mailing list
Messages@forums.vassalengine.org
forums.vassalengine.org/mailman/ … engine.org

Post generated using Mail2Forum (mail2forum.com)

Listen, I’m sorry you’re “offended” by my attitude, but after you lose a day’s work on something through no fault of your own, you tend to get a bit frustrated.

I’m not a programmer. You shouldn’t HAVE to be a programmer in order to use something like this. All I did was go to the main page and download the latest version, 3.0 I believe. If there are later version than that, why aren’t they on the main page?

And yes, I searched the forum, I search other forums, I looked everywhere I could, and all I could find were people mentioning something somewhat similar to my problem, but there were no solutions.

Exactly what information WOULD be useful? A far as error reports, I don’t see where they are being generated, if they are.

My point is that I am not just having one or two problems with the program, there seem to be quite a few bugs, and they aren’t little. Not being able to save, delete, and open files with the program are pretty major problems.

When you get around to telling me the version of Vassal you are using, I may be able to help.

*********** REPLY SEPARATOR ***********

On 20/11/2008 at 7:10 PM aubaine wrote:

Messages mailing list

Sorry,

For a first post on the forum, I felt you where downright rude!

Anywaym can we start again! I don’t believe you have lost your work. I’m sure we can recover it.

because they are beta versions and have not been released for general consumption.

The actual version number as reported by the Help → About Vassal menu option is always a good start.

Version 3.1 (now in beta) is a significant revamp of the user interface and error reporting front-end of Vassal. Error reports are generated and can be automatically emailed to your highly paid support staff. These error reports contain log messages and stack traces to help track down errors. The logs can be found for Vassal 3.0, but they are not stored in an easily found place.

Beta 5 was announced through the forums at vassalengine.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1268

Also, it is next to impossible to track down or even discuss bugs without a copy of the module to refer to, so it is best to provide a link to your module.

The chances are, your module has been corrupted and this is causing all of your problems.

I would follow the following steps:

1. See if you can read your module using 3.1 beta 5.

2. If not, post a link to your module so we can look into the module.

I apologize again for having a go at you, if you hang around you will learn I get a bit grumpy sometimes.

Regards,
Brent.

Messages mailing list

Download the latest version from one of the links here:

http://www.vassalengine.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1268

If it still doesn’t work, post the error message and send a link to the module so that we can look at it.

• M.

2008/11/20 aubaine <messages@forums.vassalengine.org (messages@forums.vassalengine.org)>

On Nov 20, 2008, at 6:24 PM, aubaine wrote:

Did the editing change the dimensions of the image?
Are you actually supposed to be able to do this?
Can you edit the image with an outside tool, saving it a copy of an
existing extension file and have it work?

What are the “all sorts of errors” that you get?

Messages mailing list

On Nov 20, 2008, at 6:24 PM, aubaine wrote:

Surely you exaggerate. At the most you are describing a single bug.
That would hardly qualify as bug-ridden.

It would also be wise for you to reflect on the way open source
projects work. Brent Easton as well as of course Rodney Kinney and
Joel Uckelman and others have spent a large amount of time on working
to improve this project. They are all volunteers and donate their
time and effort to produce a very nice project. There is a fair bit
of effort involved, and this is all done by them out of the goodness
of their hearts, as well as for the perhaps way to rare accolades they
get from the users of this system.

I’m impressed by the level of professionalism displayed in the
management of this effort across at least 3 continents, and the
efforts to make bug reporting easy. Have you ever even tried to find
a bug report address for Microsoft? I just recently ran across a
bizarre circumstance where after importing images into Word (2008) and
scaling them, the program would report that any additional PNG files I
tried to read were either in the wrong format or damaged. But opening
a new document allowed them to be read and manipulated. And there
isn’t any nice way to even report this problem to Microsoft.

Anyway, complaining about the time you may have lost certainly pales
in comparison to the amount of time the maintainers have donated to
making this product do as much as it does. The development team is
quite responsive to bug reports, but you really are dealing with
volunteers, so making dispassionate reports certainly works better
than starting off by complaining about the quality of the product.
Its the old sugar versus vinegar thing.

Messages mailing list

Thus spake “aubaine”:

What version are you using?

What errors? We can’t help you if don’t tell us what the errors were.

These are here precisely so you don’t lose work.

Probably.

Probably.

J.

Messages mailing list

Thus spake “aubaine”:

Who said you had to be a programmer?

3.0 is the current full release right now. We’ve had a series of beta
releases since then. The current beta is 3.1.0-beta5. There are well over
a hundred bugs which existed in 3.0 which are corrected in 3.1.0-beta5.
3.0 was not a good release and I don’t recommend that anyone use 3.0 anymore,
but nonetheless we don’t yet have a full release to replace it (though we
soon will).

You can find the current beta here:

sourceforge.net/project/showfile … p_id=90612

Something you should understand is that Brent and I have devoted all of
our free time in the past six months or so to fixing bugs, and so criticism
of the sort you offered in your original post is not likely to be popular
with us.

Since you’re using 3.0, I’d recommend that you try the current beta, and
there’s a good chance that you won’t have any problems after that. If the
problem persists, what we need is (1) a copy of the module and extension,
(2) a step-by-step description of how to cause the problem, if it’s
something that you know how to make happen reliably, and (3) a copy of the
errorLog, which you’ll find in the VASSAL subdirectory of your home
directory.

J.

Messages mailing list

Well, if nothing else, I hope the response so far from the developers has convinced you that VASSAL is being actively supported.

In general, the minimum we need to investigate a bug is the errorLog file (its location is given in the bug dialog box). Beyond that, a copy of the module and the saved game file are helpful too.

If you got the error when loading a saved game, please note that it’s very easy to edit a module so that saved games are no longer compatible. If you save a game and then edit the module by deleting a prototype, for example, or renaming a map, you may not be able to reload the saved game without errors. The 3.1 beta handles these kinds of errors much more gracefully than v3.0 and is otherwise backward compatible.

rk

First of all I’d like to say how impressed I am with the patience displayed by the staff in this forum.I’m sure I would have told this guy to “Go F*** himself” right off the bat or better yet go build your mod usig ADC LOL…LOL. The problem is most likely sitting behind the keyboard.I can say this because I have no, and I mean no programming skills, yet I’ve been able to create 5, count them 5 mods (one of which auto tracks victory points and implements the rules for cards played in the game) and any problems I had were 98% my fault not Vassal’s.

aubaine,have you taken a look at the modules download section?If Vassal was as bug filled as you think would there be well over 100 modules ready for playing?I don’t think so, and I’m sure most of the creators of these mods have no or very little programming knowledge.The fact is no knowledge of programming is required.

My 2 cents!