Imported Module with V. 3.1 hex numbering question

I’m testing importing ADC2 modules into VASSAL, and successfully did so on a particular game, but the module did not have hex numbering and I’d like it to have it like the orginal boardgame. I went in and selected the hex numbering but still does not show up in the game.

Am I missing something? Is there a layer where I need the hex numbers to be on top?

EDIT: I figured a workaround… turn on the hex grid… but what I really wanted was just the hex numbering to be visible since the board already has a grid and turning the grid makes the hex sides a bit darker. If there’s a way to turn on ONLY the hex grid numbering without the hex grid that would be great.

I’m guessing that the game has diagonal hex numbering? The ADC2 importer only imports hex numbering if the original ADC2 module had hex numbering. A number of older AH games had diagonal numbering which is not implemented in either ADC2 or VASSAL. What some ADC2 modules do is implement diagonal hex grid numbering as place names.

Technically, those appear in imported VASSAL modules as place names if you click on the “Find” button. Not terribly useful, but VASSAL doesn’t know the difference between real place names and diagonal grid coordinates.

• M.

2008/10/8 geozero <messages@forums.vassalengine.org (messages@forums.vassalengine.org)>

Post generated using Mail2Forum (mail2forum.com)

Thus spake “Michael Kiefte”:

Maybe we should add diagonal coordinates as an option for hex coordinates?
That wouldn’t help with importing ADC2 modules, since, as you say, the
way they do diagonal coords is a kludge anyway, but it would make it easier
for people making modules from scratch for old AH games.

J.

Messages mailing list
Messages@forums.vassalengine.org
forums.vassalengine.org/mailman/ … engine.org

In theory, you could detect it and then implement it properly, but it sounds too much like pattern recognition.

Someone define a heuristic for me and I’ll implement it. My brain is full.

• M.

2008/10/9 Joel Uckelman <uckelman@nomic.net (uckelman@nomic.net)>

But is there a way to make the grid numbering visible without the hex grid being visible? Because if the scanned map already has hexes and all we need are numbers then it would make sense and not have to toggle on the hex grid.

Sorry, I completely misunderstood your original question (I’m multitasking.) I’m more used to answering the question I thought you asked…

You could try setting the colour of the hex grid to transparent. I think if the colour is nil, it won’t show anything.

• M.

2008/10/9 geozero <messages@forums.vassalengine.org (messages@forums.vassalengine.org)>

Okay… that might be the solution… but, is there a way to reset the hex side color back to “nil” since I had given it a gray color to try to match the map hex color?

I don’t see a way to put it back to nil. The reset button doesn’t do it.

Thanks

Thus spake “geozero”:

Try to select a color, but hit “Cancel”. This is one of those odd features
of the color picker…

J.

Messages mailing list

I think if you hit cancel instead of selecting a colour, it resets to nil, but unfortunately, I’m away at the moment without a copy of VASSAL. Someone else will correct me if I’m wrong.

And, no, it’s not obvious how to do that.

• M.

2008/10/9 geozero <messages@forums.vassalengine.org (messages@forums.vassalengine.org)>

I tried the “cancel” and it does place “nil” in the color picker box, the problem is it does not SAVE it and reverts back to the prior color that I had selected. Perhaps it’s a bug?

I would merge the Grid Numbering onto the actual Map image and then just not display the Grid Numbering.

B.

Messages mailing list

You are welcome to take that on!

I do have a custom grid numbering component that does Diagonal numbering correctly for the Afrika Korps map. People are welcome to reuse this for games that use the same diagonal. I gave up working on a generalised solution because the combinations (standard/reversed, ascending/descending, horizontal/vertical, 3 different diagonals) became fiendishly complex and most of the old games seem to use the AK method.

B.

Messages mailing list

That’s probably why no one has bothered. However, I think the only company that did this was AH and, I’m guessing that they only used one method. Is this correct? Maybe we don’t even have to call it diagonal numbering, we could call it AH numbering.

Brent, can you describe the AK method. I’ll check my old copy of Third Reich.

• M.

Hi Michael,

I just had a look at the 3rd Reich and AK maps and they look the same to me. The lettered rows run horizontally accross the map. The numbered Diagonals run from top left to bottom right.

Pull the code out of the AFK module, the class is afk.HexGridNumbering. The source in the VSQL-src section of repository.

Cheers,
B.

*********** REPLY SEPARATOR ***********

On 9/10/2008 at 5:15 PM Michael Kiefte wrote:

How do you merge grid numbering with map?

Create a copy of your module, remove the map image and replace it with an empty White board of the same size, but with the same grid specifications. The Grid numbering should be black.

Start a new game and you should have a large blank map with just the grid stuff showing on a white background.

Use the Image tool to save an image of the board to a file (grid.png).

Edit grid.png, add an Alpha channel and use the ‘Color to Alpha’ tool (This is in GIMP, Photoshop should have something similiar) to remove the White from the image, replacing it with transparent areas, just leaving the Grid numbering.

Paste your modified grid.png over the top of your original map image and save.

Regards,
B.

Messages mailing list

Thus spake “Michael Kiefte”:

I think 3R might be too new to have the old AH numbering.

J.

Messages mailing list

Thus spake “Brent Easton”:

Important hint: Make SURE you keep a copy of the original map, without the
pasted-on grid. Always keep source and intermediate artwork, because you
never know when you might need it again.

J.

Messages mailing list