Internal Error

Using Win 10, I can’t open Vassal 3.4.11 this afternoon, but I could this morning.

I cannot see this file: C:\Users\billc\AppData\Roaming\VASSAL\errorLog-3.4.11 There is no “AppData” to follow the path

Here was the error message:

2020-12-21 14:28:33,031 [0-main] INFO VASSAL.launch.StartUp - Starting
2020-12-21 14:28:33,035 [0-main] INFO VASSAL.launch.StartUp - OS Windows 10 10.0
2020-12-21 14:28:33,035 [0-main] INFO VASSAL.launch.StartUp - Java version 15
2020-12-21 14:28:33,035 [0-main] INFO VASSAL.launch.StartUp - VASSAL version 3.4.11
2020-12-21 14:28:33,081 [0-main] ERROR VASSAL.tools.ErrorDialog -
java.awt.AWTError: Assistive Technology not found: com.sun.java.accessibility.AccessBridge
at java.desktop/java.awt.Toolkit.newAWTError(Toolkit.java:473)
at java.desktop/java.awt.Toolkit.fallbackToLoadClassForAT(Toolkit.java:489)
at java.base/java.util.stream.ForEachOps$ForEachOp$OfRef.accept(ForEachOps.java:183)
at java.base/java.util.stream.ReferencePipeline$2$1.accept(ReferencePipeline.java:177)
at java.base/java.util.HashMap$KeySpliterator.forEachRemaining(HashMap.java:1694)
at java.base/java.util.stream.AbstractPipeline.copyInto(AbstractPipeline.java:484)
at java.base/java.util.stream.AbstractPipeline.wrapAndCopyInto(AbstractPipeline.java:474)
at java.base/java.util.stream.ForEachOps$ForEachOp.evaluateSequential(ForEachOps.java:150)
at java.base/java.util.stream.ForEachOps$ForEachOp$OfRef.evaluateSequential(ForEachOps.java:173)
at java.base/java.util.stream.AbstractPipeline.evaluate(AbstractPipeline.java:234)
at java.base/java.util.stream.ReferencePipeline.forEach(ReferencePipeline.java:497)
at java.desktop/java.awt.Toolkit.loadAssistiveTechnologies(Toolkit.java:537)
at java.desktop/java.awt.Toolkit.getDefaultToolkit(Toolkit.java:598)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue.invokeAndWait(EventQueue.java:1342)
at java.desktop/javax.swing.SwingUtilities.invokeAndWait(SwingUtilities.java:1480)
at VASSAL.launch.StartUp.initUIProperties(StartUp.java:71)
at VASSAL.launch.StartUp.initSystemProperties(StartUp.java:44)
at VASSAL.launch.ModuleManager.(ModuleManager.java:280)
at VASSAL.launch.ModuleManager.main(ModuleManager.java:193)
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: com.sun.java.accessibility.AccessBridge
at java.base/jdk.internal.loader.BuiltinClassLoader.loadClass(BuiltinClassLoader.java:606)
at java.base/jdk.internal.loader.ClassLoaders$AppClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoaders.java:168)
at java.base/java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:522)
at java.base/java.lang.Class.forName0(Native Method)
at java.base/java.lang.Class.forName(Class.java:468)
at java.desktop/java.awt.Toolkit.fallbackToLoadClassForAT(Toolkit.java:486)
… 17 common frames omitted

Two questions:

1. Are you able to reproduce the error with 3.4.11? Does it happen every time you open VASSAL now? Intermittently?

2. Are you able to reproduce the error with this test build?

vassalengine.org/~uckelman/t … ows-64.exe

In Windows, AppData is a hidden folder by default in your user directory. You can type the path in manually or change the settings in Windows Explorer to be able to see hidden files/folders.

It happens every time on this computer now, and is also happening now with 3.4.12.

I am also unable to send the bug report. See the details below.

I am unable to upload either errorLog because I am told the "extension 11 [or 12] is not allowed.

Vassal works fine on my Win10 Laptop, but I am at my desk right now.

2020-12-28 07:43:59,670 [0-main] INFO VASSAL.launch.StartUp - Starting
2020-12-28 07:43:59,676 [0-main] INFO VASSAL.launch.StartUp - OS Windows 10 10.0
2020-12-28 07:43:59,676 [0-main] INFO VASSAL.launch.StartUp - Java version 15.0.1
2020-12-28 07:43:59,676 [0-main] INFO VASSAL.launch.StartUp - VASSAL version 3.4.12
2020-12-28 07:43:59,746 [0-main] ERROR VASSAL.tools.ErrorDialog -
java.awt.AWTError: Assistive Technology not found: com.sun.java.accessibility.AccessBridge
at java.desktop/java.awt.Toolkit.newAWTError(Toolkit.java:473)
at java.desktop/java.awt.Toolkit.fallbackToLoadClassForAT(Toolkit.java:489)
at java.base/java.util.stream.ForEachOps$ForEachOp$OfRef.accept(ForEachOps.java:183)
at java.base/java.util.stream.ReferencePipeline$2$1.accept(ReferencePipeline.java:177)
at java.base/java.util.HashMap$KeySpliterator.forEachRemaining(HashMap.java:1694)
at java.base/java.util.stream.AbstractPipeline.copyInto(AbstractPipeline.java:484)
at java.base/java.util.stream.AbstractPipeline.wrapAndCopyInto(AbstractPipeline.java:474)
at java.base/java.util.stream.ForEachOps$ForEachOp.evaluateSequential(ForEachOps.java:150)
at java.base/java.util.stream.ForEachOps$ForEachOp$OfRef.evaluateSequential(ForEachOps.java:173)
at java.base/java.util.stream.AbstractPipeline.evaluate(AbstractPipeline.java:234)
at java.base/java.util.stream.ReferencePipeline.forEach(ReferencePipeline.java:497)
at java.desktop/java.awt.Toolkit.loadAssistiveTechnologies(Toolkit.java:537)
at java.desktop/java.awt.Toolkit.getDefaultToolkit(Toolkit.java:598)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue.invokeAndWait(EventQueue.java:1342)
at java.desktop/javax.swing.SwingUtilities.invokeAndWait(SwingUtilities.java:1480)
at VASSAL.launch.StartUp.initUIProperties(StartUp.java:71)
at VASSAL.launch.StartUp.initSystemProperties(StartUp.java:44)
at VASSAL.launch.ModuleManager.(ModuleManager.java:282)
at VASSAL.launch.ModuleManager.main(ModuleManager.java:195)
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: com.sun.java.accessibility.AccessBridge
at java.base/jdk.internal.loader.BuiltinClassLoader.loadClass(BuiltinClassLoader.java:606)
at java.base/jdk.internal.loader.ClassLoaders$AppClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoaders.java:168)
at java.base/java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:522)
at java.base/java.lang.Class.forName0(Native Method)
at java.base/java.lang.Class.forName(Class.java:468)
at java.desktop/java.awt.Toolkit.fallbackToLoadClassForAT(Toolkit.java:486)
… 17 common frames omitted

I have a series of troubleshooting questions and things to check for you. PLEASE don’t change anything in the meantime while we’re working through this. It’s very difficult to troubleshoot against a moving target.

1. First, do you have Java Access Bridge installed? Some sort of screen reader? Screen magnifier?

2. Open a terminal, then cd to the directory where you’ve installed VASSAL. (It will probably be under C:\Program Files\VASSAL-3.4.12.) Then run:

jre\bin\java -cp lib\Vengine.jar -Djavax.accessibility.assistive_technologies="" VASSAL.launch.ModuleManager

What happens when you do that?

1. Do you have a file called C:\Users\billc.accessibility.properties? If so, what’s in it and do you know what the origin of that file is?
  1. Open a terminal, then cd to the directory where you’ve installed VASSAL. (It will probably be under C:\Program Files\VASSAL-3.4.12.) Then run:

jre\bin\java -cp lib\Vengine.jar -Djavax.accessibility.assistive_technologies=“” VASSAL.launch.ModuleManager

What happens when you do that?
[/quote]
Vassal opens

Yes, I do. It probably downloaded/was created when I downloaded the NVDA screen reader.

1. So you’re saying you do have C:\Users\billc.accessibility.properties?

2. If so, what are its contents? (Try opening it in Notepad.)

3. Has the screen reader ever worked? Is it something you use?

1. Yes.

2. Contents are:

assistive_technologies=com.sun.java.accessibility.AccessBridge
screen_magnifier_present=true

1. Yes; I’ve used it for work because we do websites and check for accessibility.

Ok. That’s what I expected the contents would be—those are the default contents.

Have you ever used the screen reader with a Java program that you know of?

No, not that I’m aware. I’ve actually just started with it because of several clients requesting accessibility checks on their sites at the same time. I keep it off most of the time.

This is very helpful. Thanks for your answers. We’ll have something for you to try soon.

Try vassalengine.org/~uckelman/t … ows-64.exe. When you run that, you should get an error message explaining how to resolve the problem. Let me know how that works out for you. (Either way, I’d like to hear back—if the message gave sufficient instructions for you to solve the problem on your own or if it didn’t, in which case we can keep trying.)

Nope. I get this error message, no matter where I try to save the file and open it from. I’m not being allowed to save it to the Programs folder.

Sorry, I don’t understand what you’ve said you’re doing. Do you get that error message when you download the file? When you try to run the downloaded file?

When I try to run it.

It looks like you’re having this problem: support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel … r-when-you

Try downloading the file to some other location, or move the file you downloaded to another location, then try running it again.

And if it still doesn’t work, you probably need to run the EXE “as administrator” in order to install it. On Windows 10 that’s normally done by right-clicking on the EXE file and instead of picking “open” pick the “run as administrator” option which I think is right below it.

OK< I get the following error messages.