iPhone/iPad version?

Thus spake pfassina:

Is crowd funding an option?
I’m sure there are people out there willing to back this project.

We’re already planning to produce builds of VASSAL 4 for iOS. Porting
VASSAL 3.2 to iOS would be a colossal effort, which I doubt could be
completed before VASSAL 4 would make it obsolete.

J.

Will Vassal 4 work with iOS as well as reg. windows users? meaning…will we ALL just use Vassal 4 once its complete, and it will be compatible to use between players on diff platforms? I have also heard that Vassal works on the newer windows touch screen tablets.

I believe that that is part of the plan.

On 24 May 2013 17:23, k9mike liljequist2000@yahoo.com wrote:

Will Vassal 4 work with iOS as well as reg. windows users?
meaning…will we ALL just use Vassal 4 once its complete, and it will
be compatible to use between players on diff platforms? I have also
heard that Vassal works on the newer windows touch screen tablets.

_____________**
Read this topic online here:
vassalengine.org/**forum/vie … 5#**p40445<iPhone/iPad version? - #22 by k9mike
_____________**
messages mailing list
messages@vassalengine.org
vassalengine.org/**mailman/listinfo/messageshttp://www.vassalengine.org/mailman/listinfo/messages

Thus spake k9mike:

Will Vassal 4 work with iOS as well as reg. windows users?

That’s the plan, yes.

J.

I’ve found myself thinking about this a lot lately and while being able to play Vassal solely on a mobile device would be great, with the recent developments with table style displays like the Microsoft Surface, the feature I’m most interested in is being able to use one or more mobile devices as a companion to a larger screen. Essentially the large display would be where the game board is, and is where the game is played, while each player could use a mobile device to keep all of the pieces he/she owns that are not on the board for whatever reason.

I’m not asking for Vassal to require mobile devices of course, and I’m sure that this would be possible on our end even if you didn’t do anything special code wise, but full, integrated support for this style of play would be amazing. Only a couple of things would be necessary for this kind of support as far as I can tell:

1: The ability to view the game board in fullscreen mode, making buttons and the chat window as unobtrusive as possible, while still being accessible

2: The ability for the player to view their hand in fullscreen mode

3: The ability for multiple devices linked to a single player to connect to a server so the player could use their computer screen for the game board and their mobile device to manage their hand if they wish while playing online.

4: The ability to have at least one device connect to the game in an “open” mode giving that device the ability to interact with any piece on the table and put a piece in any player’s hand, but not necessarily giving that device vision of the contents of all players hands (this is to allow multiple people to play sitting around the same fullscreen game board while using their mobile devices to manage their individual hands)

Thinking about it, 3 and 4 may already be possible, but I haven’t used Vassal a whole lot and have never tested to see if they are, so forgive me if they are.

I wonder what’s the latest on the topic of Vassal being one day available on iphone/ipad?

Thus spake masil:

I wonder what’s the latest on the topic of Vassal being one day
available on iphone/ipad?

We’re still in the design phase for VASSAL 4. Nothing has changed with
regard to iOS: We intend to build a V4 client for it.

Don’t expect anything at all to happen in the next month or so, however,
as I am the bottleneck at the moment and I am in the process of moving
from Germany to England.

J.

Thanks for the speedy reply. Good to know you guys are on the case!

Hi everyone,

I’ve brand new to these forums, and new to VASSAL as well to be honest (mostly playing 40k/Bloodbowl/X-wing), but I’m also keen to help out if you’re looking for extra hands to help with the iOS port. I’m a freelance iOS app programmer, and have been developing native iOS apps for the last few years.

If you need any extra hands for the port, let me know.

Cheers,
Zoid.

The latest version of macOS is 10.14.5.