Is This Possible

Ok, my experience with Vassal is limited so I don’t even know if this is possible. I want two private map windows. I want all units within to be hidden to the other player UNLESS they are adjacent to an enemy unit. I want a third private window for the ref only that can see all units.

I know the three private windows is fine, but I don’t know if you can have auto reveal for adjacent enemy units.

Also, inside the private map, could I have tabs with other maps? Like a force pool and resource tracker? I don’t want the other players to be able to see that either.

Thank you in advance.

1. It sounds like what you’re looking to do is have two (or three) specialized views of the same map, each one tailored to a different player (or referee). Is that the case? If so, that’s not really what private windows are for.

2. As for the ‘fog of war’ effect you’re going for, that’s not really possible using the standard Vassal toolkit. You’d need to write (or borrow) some custom code for it. I seem to remember some discussions on the forum about that recently. If you search for ‘fog of war’ you’ll find some interesting ideas that you might be able to adapt to your needs.

3. Right now, you can’t have tabbed maps, but private windows can be set unviewable by other players, so you would be able to use those for your force pool or resource tracker maps.

RE Item 3

You cant have tabbed maps with private windows but you can have tabbed maps
under charts

-----Original Message-----
[mailto:messages-bounces@vassalengine.org] On Behalf Of mycenae
Sent: Monday, February 28, 2011 1:08 AM
To: messages@vassalengine.org
Subject: [messages] [General Discussion] Re: Is This Possible

1. It sounds like what you’re looking to do is have two (or three)
    specialized views of the same map, each one tailored to a different
    player (or referee). Is that the case? If so, that’s not really what
    private windows are for.

2. As for the ‘fog of war’ effect you’re going for, that’s not really
    possible using the standard Vassal toolkit. You’d need to write (or
    borrow) some custom code for it. I seem to remember some discussions on
    the forum about that recently. If you search for ‘fog of war’ you’ll
    find some interesting ideas that you might be able to adapt to your
    needs.

3. Right now, you can’t have tabbed maps, but private windows can be set
    unviewable by other players, so you would be able to use those for your
    force pool or resource tracker maps.