JAVA RUNTIME ENVIRONMENT - VASSAL REFUSES TO OPERATE

Dear TS,

Since updating my version of Java on 13 December I have been unable to run any Vassal application. I am using Vassal 3.2.16. A copy of the Print Screen giving details of the error is attached.

I am running a Desktop PC

Intel (R) Core ™ iS - 2400 CPU @ 3.10 GHz 3.40 GHz
Installed RAM - 8GB
System - 64 bit operating system, x 64 - based processor

Windows 10 Version 1607

Any advice you can give would be most welcome.

Henry Bradley

Thus spake hal752:

Dear TS,

Since updating my version of Java on 13 December I have been unable to
run any Vassal application. I am using Vassal 3.2.16. A copy of the
Print Screen giving details of the error is attached.

I am running a Desktop PC

Intel (R) Core ™ iS - 2400 CPU @ 3.10 GHz 3.40 GHz
Installed RAM - 8GB
System - 64 bit operating system, x 64 - based processor

Windows 10 Version 1607

Any advice you can give would be most welcome.

Henry Bradley

You have a bad key in your registry. It’s possible that uninstalling
and reinstalling Java will fix this.

Cannot open VASSAL after updating Java

J.

Thank you very much for such a prompt response - re-installing Java has solved the problem

Henry

This is really the solution? I am concerned about breaking the thousand other java-dependant applications I already run. They all seem to run fine, incidentally.

You can also try to fix the registry manually, but giving instructions for this is unreliable and error prone, because of all the marvellous and interesting ways things can go wrong (especially where Java is involved).

If you’re confident, you can grab the Process Monitor tool from Microsoft and follow which registry values are read before the error appears. This can help track down the cause and lead you to a workaround or fix. Reinstalling Java is a lot easier and carries less risk for most users.

I will try that…

Don’t know if this helps (or adds to the confusion) I only had to muck about with the JRE. The rest of my Java installations I was able to leave intact.