keeping offline personal modules and/or WIP

question:

how is possible to keep offline personal modules and/or WIPs ? I have a penchant for building rather whimsical things whose can or raise an eyebrow or getting everyone laugh or a major ruckus (general example, implementing brawls,or political riots, or the classical italian military joke, invading switzerland, and personal & private homages to franchises (think about all those JRPGs whose background & plot very often involves wars) &c.

TIA and
Best regards from Italy,
dott. Piergiorgio.

The easiest way to do that is to keep them on your own computer and share
directly with your friends.

Or are you talking about running a server of your own?

On Thu, Dec 20, 2012 at 5:29 AM, dott.Piergiorgio <
dott.piergiorgio@fastwebnet.it> wrote:

question:

how is possible to keep offline personal modules and/or WIPs ? I have a
penchant for building rather whimsical things whose can or raise an
eyebrow or getting everyone laugh or a major ruckus (general example,
implementing brawls,or political riots, or the classical italian
military joke, invading switzerland, and personal & private homages to
franchises (think about all those JRPGs whose background & plot very
often involves wars) &c.

TIA and
Best regards from Italy,
dott. Piergiorgio.

_____________**
Read this topic online here:
vassalengine.org/**forum/vie … 3#**p37713<keeping offline personal modules and/or WIP
_____________**
messages mailing list
messages@vassalengine.org
vassalengine.org/**mailman/listinfo/messageshttp://www.vassalengine.org/mailman/listinfo/messages

Neither one… I’m mainly an historian, and wargames is for me also a research tool, and I expect to “houserule to death” not few modules; but after a quick look on some modules’s internals and how the engine seems to work, I’m not 100% sure that I can avoid that on Vassal’s online server’s list of rooms pops out, say, a “world in flames” room whose is no more WIF, but an heavily modded & messed up research thing…

also, some “original” thing I do are either a bit overboard (hint: Bomba is an Italian surname :laughing: ) or are a frankenstein of pieces taken from rules, maps and pieces taken here and there, occasionally ignoring legal nuances (because are for private and/or research use), so I felt the need of be sure that no one ends annoyed and/or confused by an occasional popping out of eccentric oddities (cfr. the thread on (grand)parental control for a different but similiar issue)

summing all up, I prefer to avoid that others has to endure the mess caused by this a strange mix of historian and armchair general with a penchant for messing with things whose is myself :laughing:

hope to have explained better, and

Best regards from Italy,
dott. Piergiorgio.

Sure you can. Make and use modules stored on your own computer all you want. If you don’t want them to appear on the Server Status listing, don’t ever use the “Look for a game online” option when launching a module–use the “Start a new game offline” or “Load a saved game” options. No one else will ever know your module exists.

OK thanks for the clarification… one must also avoid clicking by mistake tools -->server status, isn’t ?

Best regards from Italy,
dott. Piergiorgio.

Thus spake “dott.Piergiorgio”:

Neither one… I’m mainly an historian, and wargames is for me also a
research tool, and I expect to “houserule to death” not few modules; but
after a quick look on some modules’s internals and how the engine seems
to work, I’m not 100% sure that I can avoid that on Vassal’s online
server’s list of rooms pops out, say, a “world in flames” room whose is
no more WIF, but an heavily modded & messed up research thing…

I don’t understand the problem. Do you want to prevent others from
getting your modules? If so, then don’t distribute them. Are you trying
to prevent confusion caused by the names of your modules? If so, then
name them something else.

J.

OK seems that there’s some misunderstanding; I admit that I don’t know Vassal’s specific nomenclature, but I’m certain that Mr. “JoelCFC25” has correctly grokked the issue I have…

Best regards from Italy,
dott. Piergiorgio.

If you don’t need to play online against someone else, then the simplest
solution is to not go online at all.
Also for the purpose of having house rules, you may be able to use existing
modules, since Vassal modules do not generally enforce game rules. You can
play with any rules you want by just moving the pieces like you would with
a tabletop game.
On Dec 24, 2012 11:33 PM, “dott.Piergiorgio” <
dott.piergiorgio@fastwebnet.it> wrote:

OK seems that there’s misunderstanding; I admit that I don’t know
Vassal’s specific nomenclature, but I’m certain that Mr. “JoelCFC25”
has correctly grokked the issue I have…

Best regards from Italy,
dott. Piergiorgio.

_____________**
Read this topic online here:
vassalengine.org/**forum/vie … 6#**p37756<keeping offline personal modules and/or WIP - #7 by dott.Piergiorgio
_____________**
messages mailing list
messages@vassalengine.org
vassalengine.org/**mailman/listinfo/messageshttp://www.vassalengine.org/mailman/listinfo/messages

and how to do this was already explained by “JoelCFC” :slight_smile:

Whose I already noticed; OTOH I have always an penchant for hacking things around and Vassal allow implementing many conveniences (e.g. pieces already deployed/stacked around for the scenario setup) whose is natural to attempt to implement also for their house rules (BTW, I apologise for not having noticed back then the module extensions system, that is, the natural place for house rules & variants)

Hope to have finally clarified the points, and

Best regards from Italy,
dott. Piergiorgio.

I think what the original poster meant was that he thought the only way to play one of his modules was to go online. He didn’t realize that he could run them offline. Now he knows.