Kingmaker ... Anyone?

Hi Stiglr … I’ll be busy this weekend, so no chance of a catch-up, soz. But,
I’m going to make some time and have a read at the post above for rules &
stuff and give my opinion on what I like by the end of the week … Walts

No worries! We’ll get it done and make it happen! After 30 years, I’ll have to “have a butcher’s” at the ol’ rulebook meself, eh? Cheers!

So, been ridiculously busy over the past few weeks, so finally getting back to looking at what’s been happening here, with some comments from myself …

Proposed game times (I’m in the UK = GMT) …

Friday, 3rd Oct (GMT 8pm onwards)
Sat, 4th Oct (GMT Anytime!)

Some comments so far

As far as I’m aware, none of the cards are added when the game starts. You can then go to the “Optional Cards & Pieces [F7]” and add the various Advanced Crown & Event cards, including Expansions and everything else that’s came out over the years.

I think for the first game, we should keep it as simple as possible to see how long the game plays? I’m not sure how familier players are with their controls, the game in general and how long a game will play. I’m happy to add rules which will speed up the game but not detract from the gameplay, making one player more powerful than others.

With Stiglr list of rules in mind from a previous posting, I’ve added some thoughts …

KINGMAKER RULES, CARDS & MAP IN ISHKIBIBBLE

• The 2nd edition (1981) rulebook, cards and map will be used. The only differences from the 1st edition (1976) are three important map changes … OK with these
• Optional Rules being used:

Initial Placement … OK
Commission … What is this?
Ambush … OK, using Cards
Bishop Cards, Optional Parliament, Return from Parliament and Alliance … What rules are these?

• Advanced Rules being used: Components, Prepare for Play, use of Edmund of Rutland and the Nobles Killed Table … I would rather ignore these for the first game.

[size=120]… more to follow! Still reading across BGG …[/size]

Walts

So, been ridiculously busy over the past few weeks, so finally getting back to looking at what’s been happening here, with some comments from myself …

Proposed game times (I’m in the UK = GMT) …

Friday, 3rd Oct (GMT 8pm onwards)
 Sat, 4th Oct (GMT Anytime!)

Some comments so far

As far as I’m aware, none of the cards are added when the game starts. You can then go to the “Optional Cards & Pieces [F7]” and add the various Advanced Crown & Event cards, including Expansions and everything else that’s came out over the years.

I think for the first game, we should keep it as simple as possible to see how long the game plays? I’m not sure how familier players are with their controls, the game in general and how long a game will play. I’m happy to add rules which will speed up the game but not detract from the gameplay, making one player more powerful than others.

With Stiglr list of rules in mind from a previous posting, I’ve added some thoughts …

KINGMAKER RULES, CARDS & MAP IN ISHKIBIBBLE

• The 2nd edition (1981) rulebook, cards and map will be used. The only differences from the 1st edition (1976) are three important map changes … OK with these
• Optional Rules being used:

Initial Placement … OK
Commission … What is this?
Ambush … OK, using Cards
Bishop Cards, Optional Parliament, Return from Parliament and Alliance … What rules are these?

• Advanced Rules being used: Components, Prepare for Play, use of Edmund of Rutland and the Nobles Killed Table … I would rather ignore these for the first game.

NEW RULES & MAP CHANGES … I’d rather ignore these rules for a first game.
BLOCKADE†; BOOTY†; CONTINENT¥; DUBLIN‡; EVENT DECK RESHUFFLING†; EXPANDED RANSOM†;
FORCED AMNESTY IN PORTS†; IRELAND‡; PLANTAGENET LOYALTY AFTER DEATH IN COMBAT¥;
REVISED SIEGE†; SCOTLAND¥; SEMIRANDOM ROYAL HEIR PLACEMENT‡; SHIP COMBAT AT SEA†;
TRADE AND GIFTS EMBARGO DURING SIEGES¥; TOWN AND CITY FORCES†

NEW CROWN CARDS (1 of each) … I’d rather ignore these rules for a first game.
IRISH KERNS‡
SCOTTISH MERCENARIES†

NEW EVENT CARDS (1 of each unless otherwise specified) … I’d rather ignore these rules for a first game.
ASSASSINATION‡; BETRAYAL§; CATASTROPHE: 2 TURNS DURATION†; CATASTROPHE: 3 TURNS DURATION†;
DEFEATISM RIFE‡; EXCOMMUNICATION‡; EVADE BATTLE§; FORCE BATTLE§; FRENCH TREACHERY‡;
GALES AT SEA†; GALES AT SEA†; HERESY‡; INFLUENCE HEIR§; MERCENARIES GO HOME: SAXONS‡;
MERCENARY STRIFE‡; MUTINY: LE LUCAS‡; MUTINY: LE MICHAEL‡; MUTINY: LE NICHOLAS‡;
MUTINY: LE ROSE‡; MUTINY: LE SWAN‡; PAPAL DIET‡; PLAGUE: DUBLIN‡; PRETENDER§; PRETENDER REVEALED§;
REFUGE: 3 TURNS†; REFUGE: 5 TURNS†; REFUGE: 7 TURNS†; RELIGIOUS DIET‡; ROYAL BIRTH§; ROYAL DEATH†
ROYAL HEIR ESCAPES‡; ROYAL HUNT‡; ROYAL VISIT: KING TO IRELAND‡; SCOTS INVASION‡; SIEGE FAILS§;
TREACHERY: REMOVE 1 CARD FROM HAND†; TREACHERY: REMOVE 2 CARDS FROM HAND†;
TREATY WITH FRANCE: KING TO CONTINENT‡; TREATY WITH SCOTLAND: KING TO SCOTLAND§;
VACILLATING NOBLE (7)†; WAR IN EUROPE‡

Any other players got any thoughts? Week Fri/Sat for the next game, if we can make a 3 or more player game,

Thanks, Walts

You’re probably right about keeping it simple for the first try; we can always up the “chrome” level after the first dry run.

I’m looking a bit nervously at the Friday date, since 8pm GMT translates to noon my time, and I’ll be hard at work, trying to get to the weekend. There’s an outside chance I might have a little break in my schedule, due to the project I’m immersed in at the moment, but under normal circumstances, it probably won’t work. Of course, if the possibility exists for players to take others’ seats as we go, I’d be open to that.

Let’s keep the dialogue open as the dates near…

So, not had much feedback on committing to the said
game times … maybe in the future? … Walts

Yes, certainly at some future date.

There was no way I could make the Friday date, as my work schedule had me on 10-hour days for the last 2 weeks.

By today, I had another game lined up in the afternoon.

But, perhaps one day we can get something going!

Actually I was going to post for a KingMaker game. I had Vassal for quite awhile and never used it and saw your post… any news on the game? I am very interested… if you are playing online we can play via Vassal and if interested we can Skype and talk. That would be cool. I have KM 2nd edition and would love to play! Also I understand if we all cant meet we can play via pbem / email?

We very nearly had a match going, but I think the idea was for a live multiplayer match, and the differenecs in time zones proved to be too much on the day.

I’m still up for it, and would vastly prefer a “live via Skype” game than pbem; especially for KM, where the scheming, conniving and backstabbing happen in realtime with lots of laughs.

Where are you located and what is your availability?

I am in Atlanta, GA US East Coast. I am available most days during the week day while weekends are slightly more difficult.

That will likely put you very much in stead with the fellow from Scotland; me, not so much. I’m in Portland, OR and work during the day.

Hopefully, though, you’ll be able to find enough people for a good match!