Large pieces

This is most likely a newbie question, but I haven’t been able to find the answer anywhere. I have a grid map and I have some large pieces I need to add too it. The pieces are 2x2 grid blocks in size. When I drag them onto the map it centers the image on whatever square I put it on. How would I make it line with the grid so it covers a 2x2 area.

Hope that is clear. I think I need to offset the center, so it’s not the center of the image but make it offset a bit.

Thus spake “xlilcasper”:

Have you been able to find an answer for this?

J.

Messages mailing list
Messages@forums.vassalengine.org
forums.vassalengine.org/mailman/ … engine.org

Post generated using Mail2Forum (mail2forum.com)

Hi,

I’m also having this problem. Can anyone suggest a solution?

Thanks.

Manbot,

I think this can be done using a counter (small) that fits the grid, with a layer (always active) that covers all 4 squares in the grid. The layer will need to be offset by half the size of the grid X - Y to fit properly.

Here’s what it should look like:

Great - thanks for the suggestion Rich! I will try it out.

The offset trick works, but it can lead to a bit of confusion with the grid snapping for users, since the point that snaps to the gird is no longer in the center of the image. I’m sure they will be able to figure it out, but such multi-space units usually work best if they have odd numbers of spaces rather than even.

You could enable snap to vertex, so the center of the big unit is where you expect it to be. I don’t remember how to set it, but I remember seeing it as an option when poking around in some modules. This might allow the small units to be on the line intersections as well, however, and I don’t know if you can limit it to one (type of) unit or not.

On Sep 26, 2010, at 3:12 PM, krenshala wrote:

You could enable snap to vertex, so the center of the big unit is
where
you expect it to be. I don’t remember how to set it, but I remember
seeing it as an option when poking around in some modules.

This is done when setting up the legal points for units to be at.

You get to this dialog at

Module > Main Map > Map Boards > Board > Rectangular Grid
and right click on Properties

This might
allow the small units to be on the line intersections as well,
however,
and I don’t know if you can limit it to one (type of) unit or not.

No. It’s all or nothing.

But I don’t think that’s really all too much of a problem, since
players can “just not do it”, just like in a face-to-face game with a
physical board.