LAYERS and TEXT LABELS in trait order bug?

I have done all sort of tests trying to have a LAYER and/or a TEXT LABEL update on a command key (an action button, more precisely) before anything else - a bunch of triggers firing global key commands - is fully resolved. But no luck.

It appears like LAYER and TEXT LABEL traits are resolved or updated dead last, whatever their position in the trait order.

Is that a feature or a bug? Sounds more like the latter to me… I have tried with 3.1.18 and all sorts of 3.2.0 builds.

Thus spake barbanera:

I have done all sort of tests trying to have a LAYER and/or a TEXT LABEL
update on a command key (an action button, more precisely) before
anything else - a bunch of triggers firing global key commands - is
fully resolved. But no luck.

It appears like LAYER and TEXT LABEL traits are resolved or updated dead
last, whatever their position in the trait order.

Is that a feature or a bug? Sounds more like the latter to me… I have
tried with 3.1.18 and all sorts of 3.2.0 builds.

Does this still happen with 3.2.6?

J.

I’m also having a problem getting TEXT LABELS to appear before any active LAYERS. No matter what the trait order, any active LAYERS always overrides the TEXT LABELS. Version 3.2.11

Thus spake Hagar:

I’m also having a problem getting TEXT LABELS to appear before any
active LAYERS. No matter what the trait order, any active LAYERS always
overrides the TEXT LABELS. Version 3.2.11

Does this still happen in 3.2.15? Was there some release where it
changed?

If you’d like us to take a look, post a minimal test module.

J.

A simple example. Adding a label to the single piece works fine. But when the “Ace” layer is activated, it’s always the reported piece name, regardless of its relative position in the BasicPiece Prototype Definition.

Of course originally, I just thought that I wasn’t yet constructing it correctly, until I saw this post. Anyway here is an example, greatly simplified. Label and layer size, position, etc. are nonsensical.

Hagar, it has been a few years since my post and I am not clear on all the details anymore. However, I seem to recall my post referred to something a little different from what I think you are reporting here.

In my case, I was trying to have a piece switch layer from a simple gif showing “click to start” to another one showing “setting up game…” while a lot of other stuff was getting done (moving pieces on the board, shuffling decks, distributing cards etc). Finally, the layer would show invisible gif or “setup done” (or maybe I was just deleting the piece) when the setup was done.

Whatever I tried, the switch in the layer showing would always happen dead last and thus be of no use. You kept seeing “click to start” while the game apparently freezes and you are not sure what’s happening for a while, and then you immediately switch to invisible layer or “setup done” (or no piece/layer) when everything was done. The “setting up game…” layer would just skip past without really ever being visible, I guess.

Same behavior trying to update text labels instead of using layers on a piece to achieve the same trick.

The issue you are reporting might be related or not. Just wanted to clarify what I was talking about in the OP.

Yes, it appears you are right. I obviously didn’t digest your first paragraph and even misread the second paragraph. I probably locked onto your post from the ,“TEXT LABEL traits are resolved or updated dead last, whatever their position in the trait order.” text entry. Mine seems a much simpler problem, if it’s really a problem at all.